My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Visiting too much?

Texas_Justice85

We have 3 other lodges that meet in the same lodge room as mine and even 3 others within 5 miles from my apartment. I would like to start visiting these other lodges now that I have the time. My question how often is too often for a visitor? Although most lodges would say 'come back anytime,' it would be my impression that if you start showing up too often they would want you to affiliate. What say you?

diagft32

As long as your dues are paid in your home lodge, visit away! I have never met a brother who visited too few lodges too few times.

Gerald.Harris

Premium Member
Premium Member
We have 3 other lodges that meet in the same lodge room as mine and even 3 others within 5 miles from my apartment. I would like to start visiting these other lodges now that I have the time. My question how often is too often for a visitor? Although most lodges would say 'come back anytime,' it would be my impression that if you start showing up too often they would want you to affiliate. What say you?

I say that you continue visiting until, you decide that you want to affiliate with another lodge. In my home district of 31A, I have personally visied every lodge in the district many many times and I have never been told not to come back. Actually down in the Galveston area, we all visit back and forth and assist each other in degree work and special events. Just Brothers helping brothers and having a great time doing it.

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member

i think it's probably more about you avoiding their offer to affiliate. heh, we give people a hard time after they show up 10+ times in a year, usually. of course, i went to Brazos Union so much for a while that they would make me part of the degree teams...

MGM357

When I started visiting Lodge ( I am now a member of ), I was introduced as a visitor the first two times and after that I was told that I should make myself at home. After that I never was introduced as a visitor. that really made me feel like I was AT home. I then asked for dual membership. At this time I am finding it easier to go to my second Home Lodge than my first. I guess you can say that C.A. Fortner is my adopted Home Lodge and North Shore is my original Home Lodge. It shouldn't matter how often you visit as long as you are active.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I've never seen a Lodge that discouraged visiting- most of them are proud to have the attendance, member or not.

Wingnut

Premium Member
VISIT! You may find a lodge that you do want to associate with because the personality of that lodge just fits you and your needs/desires.

owls84

Premium Member
I say visit. I affiliated with a Lodge I visited because I felt they could use the added support my dues gave them. I will purchase an endowment eventually but I like just giving my dues money. I feel there is nothing wrong with just visiting. Your company is probably payment enough to them.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Just watch out- you visit a Lodge too many times they'll want to put you in the chairs! :wink:

TexMass

I see you have been visiting the Forum quite often. Have you ever considered affiliating? ;)

timsmith

You can never visit too much. When I first started teaching, a student of mine wanted to visit some of the area lodges. I had already visited several of the lodges in town multiple times so i said sure. before he was done getting his instructors certificate we were looking through the grand lodge website making a calendar of every lodge that met within the area so we could find more lodges to visit. we were never once turned away, always treated with respect, always asked to come back, and we made a lot of great friends from the experience.

Marriage, a new job, a baby on the way, and a few other things have slowed my travels but i still go and visit area lodges whenever i can.

Last edited:

jermy Bell

We hit'em up, up to 40 miles away, usually for degree work, but are always invited for degree work, gatherings, dinners, breakfast, schools, I say get out there and GO, GO ,GO !

Keith C

I don't think you can visit too much.

We have several Brothers who regularly visit our Lodge who are members of other Lodges in our District. We often jokingly ask them if the want a petition, but it is just good natured ribbing. One Lodge in our district has trouble getting enough Brothers out to confer Degrees. At the District Visitation held at their Lodge this year, they gave "Permanent Visitor" name badges to thee Brothers from other Lodges who show up to help them do Degree work. Our DDGM encourages us to visit within the District as much as possible, to attend each other's Lodge events. As the WMs and Wardens all travel to District Visitations and sit together there, we become close friends to our fellow Officers within the District and therefore more sympathetic and willing to assist whenever and wherever needed.

I can't imagine a Lodge that wouldn't welcome more Brothers on the sidelines, even if they are not Members. The presence of another friend and Brother is far more valuable than the $90 it would add to the budget if you had them as a member, and any pressure to petition would likely mean a loss of their presence.