My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Waiting for Superman

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
FANTASTIC documentary!!!!!! A must see..

[video=youtube;yFN0nf6Hqk0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFN0nf6Hqk0[/video]​

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
I don't have to see the documentary. My soon-to-be wife started work back in October for a broken school district. They were paying their now former Superintendent $175,000 a year plus a $15,000 bonus last year. During that year, 1 junior high closed because of too many consecutive year earning unaccepted ratings on the TAKS test, 2 high school endanger of being taken over by the feds for their unacceptable ratings, 1 of those high school having the second high dropout rate in the state, and a myriad of lawsuits concerning the employing of Mexican nationals to teach Spanish who turned out to have previous problems with inappropiate behavior around children that continued here. My soon-to-be wife was going over their policies manuals which are about 15-20 years out of date. Their student size has actually srunk in the last 20 years, but they now have 3 to 4 times the administraive staff.

mrpesas

I have not seen Waiting for Superman, but did watch the Oprah special on it. I am also a teacher. My main comment is that there is a huge difference between the school systems in the north east and Texas. I'm not suggesting that Texas schools are perfect, but they are a different beast and need a different set of solutions that are catered to our needs.