My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

waiting game

Benton

Premium Member
Be patient, these wheels and cogs can often take some time to turn. The reward is worth the wait.

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
When does the lodge have its next Stated Meeting? That's when they will read your petition and assign an Investigation Committee. Good luck!!

Beathard

Premium Member
As Dave said, they will read your petition at the next meeting. An investigation committee will be assigned. They have to talk to you and report by the next meeting when your application will be voted on. The secretary will then send you, hopefully, a notice of election that will tell you when you are being initiated. If the timing works to your benefit it could go as fast a 5 weeks total. If your luck is bad it could take almost 3 months. Either way it is worth the wait.

fairmanjd

Yeah... In Florida, either the Lodge itself or the Grand Lodge runs a criminal background check. It will indeed be worth the patient wait. I don't think anything regaeding the lodge happens very fast. From what I understand, the petition is read at meeting; then the backgroun check is run; only after that is confirmed is an investigative committee appointed.

Can you clear something up for me? Does the EA degree go concurrently with the initiation; or is a man initiated, appointed a mentor, and taught the work prior to the EA degree? I'm not quite clear on the order.

Thank you.

Benton

Premium Member
Your EA degree *is* your initiation. In Texas, when the investigative committee gives their final report on you in lodge, they will hold a final vote on your petition. I assume it's the same or similar in Florida. If the vote is favorable, they will work with you to schedule your Entered Apprentice degree, which is your initiation. Then you will start learning your work. Make sense?

fairmanjd

makes sense... I was under the impression that one was not conferred a particular degree until one knew the work. I think I understand now. Thanks.

Benton

Premium Member
The work is you studying the degree that you underwent, among other things.

I don't think FL is so drastically different than TX. Might want to ask a FL brother to be sure.

cemab4y

Premium Member
I was in Florida recently, and I got an explanation from a Mason there. The lodge will do a criminal background check on you, with one of those internet firms. Once it is confirmed that you have no felony record, the investigation committee, will 'do their thing'. Some states require the petitioner to be interviewed directly. Some states do not require a direct interview from the petitioner. Once the examination is complete, the report will be made back to the lodge.

You will be learning a new vocabulary, so you may as well start now.

The Entered Apprentice degree is your "initiation". You will then be "passed" to the degree of Fellow Craft, and "Raised" to the sublime degree of Master Mason. You will be entered, passed, and raised. Fear not, the degree work is dignified, and you will be treated at all times, with decorum and respect.

Once your lodge is satisfied, that you have retained the lessons taught in the EA degree, you will then be passed to Fellow Craft. Most states, have a 30-day minimum between the degrees. Some states have a one-year maximum time between the degrees. If there is a special circumstance, like you are a soldier deploying overseas, the time frame can be adjusted.

You will enjoy Masonry. I wish you every possible success, and may the Great Architect of the Universe guide your steps.

fairmanjd

Awesome. Do you think I'll be allowed to bring my own goat; or is the candidate required to use one the lodge provides?
Kidding of course... Thank you gentlemen for the information. I'm a big fan of the forum here; and find it ever interesting and helpful. Appreciate it.

fairmanjd

Past Master just told me it would probably be at least a month after my petition is read before I hear anything from the Investigative Committee. It's gonna be a long few weeks.

AMcClure

Took a while for mine too. It was well worth the wait!

Past Master just told me it would probably be at least a month after my petition is read before I hear anything from the Investigative Committee. It's gonna be a long few weeks.

Hndrx

Premium Member
It is hard to be patient but the time will come. (I've been in the same position recently. My EA is tomorrow!)

Martin O

I actually started the process in FL and everything stated before is true. It was during the summer when they were dark, so I waited and waited. I actually got up to the point where the committee was assigned, but by that time I was already in the process of moving to NJ. So I had to restart the process here and I waited some more. All in all it took me about 5 months to finally get my EA. An experience that was that much sweeter for having to wait so long. I look forward to my upcoming FC. (speaking of which, I have some memorizing to do). Good luck!