My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warm & Fraternal Greeting from Malaysia

DGLEA.Read

Dear WB & Brethren,

I bring you warm and fraternal greeting from Read Lodge, under the District Grand Lodge of Eastern Archipelago, United Grand Lodge of England.

If any of the brethren required any enlightenment, or any hospitality or plan to visit us, please feel free to contact me and i hope every brethren have a great day ahead.

Fraternal Regards,
Jeffrey (M.M)
Read Lodge No.2337
DGLEA, United Grand Lodge of England.

Bloke

Premium Member
I looked up the "Eastern Archipelago" which i could not place on a map... it includes KuaL.. right, thats much clearer... we recently had another visitor to the site from a lodge in KL.... Many lodges in the city ?

DGLEA.Read

I looked up the "Eastern Archipelago" which i could not place on a map... it includes KuaL.. right, thats much clearer... we recently had another visitor to the site from a lodge in KL.... Many lodges in the city ?

Hi Brother,

In Malaysia, we have many lodges and all of them are either governed by the Grand Lodge of England, Grand Lodge of Scotland or Grand Lodge of Ireland, and all of the lodges are considered as District Lodges.

In English Constitution, the districts are called the District Grand Lodge of Eastern Archipelago (Governed by the Grand Lodge of England)
Meanwhile, in the Scottish Constitution, the districts are called the District Grand Lodge of the Middle East (Governed by the Grand Lodge of Scotland), while the Irish Constitution are called the Provincial Grand Lodge of South East Asia (Governed by the Grand Lodge of Irish).

To summarised the hierarchy:
1. English Lodges (Blue Lodge) -> District Grand Lodge of Eastern Archipelago -> Grand Lodge of England
2. Scottish Lodges -> District Grand Lodge of Middle East -> Grand Lodge of Scotland
3. Irish Lodges -> Provincial Grand Lodge of South East Asia -> Grand Lodge of Ireland

**Grand Lodge of England + Grand Lodge of Scotland + Grand Lodge of Ireland = United Grand Lodge of England. (Three of us were established together on the year of 1717 and we have just celebrated our tercentenary 300 years celebration this month)

Also, the District of the said Grand Lodges govern each of the districts (Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand). Malaysia been the largest in the district, having the most lodges too.

You may ask why dont we called the District of South East Asia like the irish do, because in those day, the name "Southeast Asia" were not formed just yet, and this particular province were then called "Eastern Archipelago" by the English and "Middle East" by the Scottish.

Hope it clears you up.

Elexir

Yes, nobody knows the origin of Freemasonry, but UGLE is formed on 1717.

You may have not paid any attention to the logo of the official website, which indicates 1717-2017

No, UGLE counts the date from the original GL. The term UGLE was not used before the unification of the antients and moderns grand lodges in London.

DGLEA.Read

No, UGLE counts the date from the original GL. The term UGLE was not used before the unification of the antients and moderns grand lodges in London.

If you want to be specified with the term of UGLE, you are right, the term UGLE is formed on eyar 1813. May i know brother, which lodge are you from under which Grand Lodge?

DGLEA.Read

St Johns lodge Astrea under the Grand Lodge of Sweden (Swedish order of freemasons).

Thank you brother, for the enlightenment and corrected my mistakes all the way from Sweeden.
If you happened to travel to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, do contact me, as we are having an exhibition of Freemasonry in conjunction to our tercentenary celebration.

Elexir

Thank you brother, for the enlightenment and corrected my mistakes all the way from Sweeden.
If you happened to travel to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, do contact me, as we are having an exhibition of Freemasonry in conjunction to our tercentenary celebration.

Might be a bit tricky unfortently, its money that limits it.
You have a nice tercentenary celebration :)

DGLEA.Read

Might be a bit tricky unfortently, its money that limits it.
You have a nice tercentenary celebration :)

No to worry brother, we have plenty of chance and im sure you will enjoy our hospitality, given the opportunity for us to serve you.

It is almost midnight here, and im going to the bed. Take care brother.