My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We're all felons now...

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
http://reason.com/archives/2009/10/19/were-all-felons-now

Enjoy.

Fear makes for easy politics. It both wins votes and primes us to give government more power at the expense of personal liberty.

Part of the drop can of course be explained by mass incarceration—America leads the world in the percentage of its population behind bars. Putting one in every 100 citizens in jail causes its own problems, and there's plenty of debate over just how much that incarceration has contributed to the fall in violent crime. But there's no question that we've put lots of people in prison over the last 20 years, the crime rate has fallen, and part of the public likely believes (with some justification) that there's a link betweent the two.

and this just brings me back to my thoughts regarding non-violent crimes... when we run out of violence, will the government just start incarcerating larger numbers of people for non-violent crimes?

wonderful. we've already been conditioned to think that it's okay to take away someone's life/liberty/pursuit of happiness for non-violent crimes, it's not a big leap to start ramping that rate up...

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
i guess i'm not old enough to understand?

Last edited: