My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you tell your family and friend about your role in masonry?

Angler

I have told my immediate family. But I have refrained from discussing masonry with friends or coworkers.

I've had some strange reactions from people who I would have otherwise thought would be very understanding and enthusiastic. Now I am reluctant to invite men I respect, due to the possible reactions from them or their wives. Some are members of churches that have teachings that are hostile towards masonry.

Have any of you had similar experiences? How do you share your enthusiasm for masonry with good men who would make good brothers without alienating them ?

(I am referring to people who have preconceived negative opinions not supported by reality)

Last edited:

masonic1

Well brother, the way I have approached this issue in the past was to speak with whom ever you feel is a good man about what he feels and or believes about masons in general conversation to see what he thinks before you decide to tell him about yourself and what you represent. Once he opens up and shows that he feels masons are good people and masonry is a good thing then you can open up to him and help take him down that road if he wants to become apart of it.

Freemason Connect Mobile

Brother

I wear my ring proudly where ever I'm at. When I .EET people like your talking about I tell them don't believe every thing they see on History channel. Then I invite them to our next dinner. I have always received a positive response, I also remind them of the hospitals and charities we support. A little educational information goes a long way.

Senior Deacon Empire Lodge 586
Haggai Chapter 53
Haggai Council 38
KT Sword Bearer McKinney Commandery34

masonic1

Ok that's great that you are getting a good response from it bro keep up the good work and just keep in mind that not everybody will understand what you represent so you must be prepared to deal with what comes from it when a positive response is not what you get in return for your open invitation.

Freemason Connect Mobile

Brother

By positive response I mean I've never created an enemy. But I have had some interesting conversations about what they thought masonry was about. Some people are just so misinformed. If someone chooses not to associate with me because of my affiliation with masonry... then so mote it be.

Senior Deacon Empire Lodge 586
Haggai Chapter 53
Haggai Council 38
KT Sword Bearer McKinney Commandery34

towerbuilder7

Premium Member
GOOD EVENING BROTHERS, I've received every type of response that you could imagine. But, the ONE thing that I always tell a few of my conspiracy theorist friends is-----Look at ME, and the way I live MY LIFE. MY LIFE is Masonry, and I treat Masonry as a WAY OF LIFE, rather than simply an Orgranization to which I belong. If they view a Man who loves and supports his Family, Works Hard, is a Born Again Christian who believes in and accepts Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, AND who is also very PROUD TO BE A PRINCE HALL MASON as one of the Illuminati, I tell them that I AM. Illuminati meaning "the Illuminated Ones"----I'll always view that name as a compliment!! Brothers, the BEST way to show people about Masonry is through YOUR LIFE EXAMPLE------SEEK LIGHT AND PETITION, SEE LIGHT AND BECOME ILLUMINATED, AND SHINE LIGHT AS AN EXAMPLE TO OTHERS..........SO MOTE IT BE, MY BROTHERS......................

BRO. VINCENT C. JONES, SR., BAYOU CITY LODGE #228, PHA, F&AM
PRINCE HALL AFFILIATION, FREE AND ACCEPTED MASONRY, DISTRICT 15-A, HOUSTON, TEXAS
MOST WORSHIPFUL PRINCE HALL GRAND LODGE OF TEXAS

widows son

Premium Member
Educate yourself on the anti point of view. I, at one point was in your boat as well. But once you confidently can dispel their myths, being reluctant is no longer an issue. Like another
Brother has mentioned, I proudly wear my ring everywhere, and I only take it off when doing dirty jobs or when showering.

My advice would be to do as brother Vincent said. Show how Masonry has become a positive way of life for you.

solomon1979

I brought my woman to open installation and she liked it. I tell my family about it and no one minds. I have had some negative and positive feedback. I also explain to them the good that comes from it and set a good example for all. Ask me if I have experienced discrimination or favoritism over it and I will say yes to both. Unfortunately its been more discrimination.

Freemason Connect Mobile

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
I suppose that I have been lucky, I have seldom received a negative response about being a Freemason.

I am very open about my Freemasonry in my private life with family and friends. I wear my ring every day, and I have decals and other items that are Masonic. Everyone who knows me, knows that I am a Mason. My wife and I belong to our local Eastern Star Chapter, we are Past Matron's and Patron's. Our daughters will soon be involved with Rainbow Girls... We are a Masonic family.

I am not big on the promotion of the fraternity at work. As a manager, I do not want fraternal involvement to ever come in to play with my decision making. Some employees know that I am a Mason, and I have several employees that are also Masons but that is as far as it goes. I do not include my Masonic involvement on my resume, again because I do not want that to factor into my employment. It is my choice to keep work and Masonry separated.

jwhoff

Premium Member
I've received nothing but support from my family on both my side and that of my wife. Support from my side came easy as I'm the ninth generation of unbroken MMs since my family came to the United States. My wife's side are Catholic and first generation Americans from Colombia. They, too, had absolutely no issues. Many have spoken to me personally about how their father had wished to become a mason and that several members on their mother's side were indeed masons in Colombia.

I am more with masonry than I could have ever been without it. I am complete!

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
Im actually pretty secretive when it comes to my involvement because im not sure how everyone would take it. I would never deny being a mason if asked but im not going around telling everyone either.

I have a couple that I hav3 been friends with for over 20 years. My wife and I are both their daughters god parents. They (the parents) dont know im a mason. Same with another couple. My wife and I have known them for 20 years and we are their sons god parents. They dont know either.

I joined for myself and no one else.

onthesquare

I am proud to be a member of the craft.I have small decals on my car and home,I also wear symbols of the masons on my clothes as appropriate to the situation.I do not initiate conversation about the craft but will talk about the public aspects. This I do to to foster understanding,not change minds. I won't argue and won't apologize . The future and growth of masonry in this electronic and ,in my opinion ,less personally connected society is to offer yourself as an example and advocate of the brotherhood of masonry.
In brotherhood,mike.

Freemason Connect Mobile

Bro_Vick

Premium Member
I tend to keep my involvement in the Craft on the down low, not hid it, but not overtly advertise it. There are a couple of personal reasons, but a lot of it has to do with upbringing. If asked I will tell people that I am a Freemason, and talk to them about the craft, but I don't seek others out.

I had a former co-worker who flat out lied to me about being a Freemason, said he wasn't and had square and compasses on his truck. So, there was that awkwardness for the rest of the short time we worked together.

Anyway, men should be allowed to express Freemasonry how ever they see fit.

S&F,
-Bro Vick

rpbrown

Premium Member
I am proud of the fact that I am a member of the craft and I wear a ring 24/7 as well as have the square and compass on my vehicles.

I had an issue with an associate pastor at my church a while back. He publicly condemed me and other brothers within our church. He said we practiced satonic rituals. Now one of the other brothers was also the other associate pastor and one was the senior pastors son. I confronted this man and asked him where he recieved his information. You guessed it, the internet. S I proceeded to show him some sites on the internet about christianity that were not so christian. He somewhat changed his tune. Then I proceeded to invite him to our officer installations. He has not accepeted or denied as of yet though.

dfreybur

Premium Member
I am quite open about being a Mason. Ring, Masonic plates, you name it. Today I'm wearing a polo shirt with a Shrine logo.

I've rarely encountered antis in person. The worst I've gotten was polite stares. I don't mind in the least. It just doesn't bother me. I've met various sorts of lunatics in person and from that I know I would not mind meeting any of the foaming antis.