My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you think about the Acacia branch?

Mark89

Hello, receive a warm greeting. This time I bring you a written about the Acacia branch, It's a superficial personal interpretation, because my intention is to originate a good debate with this topic.

In Masonry, the Acacia has a special place, a symbolism that is both unique and multiple at the same time, a simple and profound meaning at the same time.

The Acacia plant is very common in the Sinai desert and according to legend or tradition, the assassins of Master Hiram planted an Acacia branch, where they buried him.

The etymology of the word Acacia comes from the Greek "akis" whose meaning is "spike". In Freemasonry, reference is made to Gleditsia triacanthos (the Acacia of three thorns) or the Acacia of the Teneré, which is mentioned in the history of Hiram, it also represents the symbol of the number "three", which has a great significance for Freemasonry and other initiatory groups.

In each degree of Symbolic Masonry, the Acacia has a special meaning, which is discovered by each member according to its "growth" and "learning", besides the Acacia is related to the "Masonic Silence", which in turn could relate to the silence that the apprentices of the Pythagorean school. Another deeper interpretation of the Acacia could be traced back to the famous phrase: V.I.T.R.I.O.L, however it is a subjective and dependent interpretation of each member of Masonry.

The Acacia has had a variety of uses, and many properties that could be extrapolated metaphorically to Masonry, for example: the Acacia wood is strong and robust, being considered as incorruptible, as is the incorruptible essence of each Mason, also of Acacia medicinal products are obtained as substances to treat diseases such as dysentery and scurvy.

The Acacia is also usually harmful to some harmful insects or parasites, which metaphorically could be understood that the Mason through the "use" of Acacia remains free and away from "Insects" or "Parasites" that corrupt the growth and construction of the "Internal Temple".

It is striking, as in many ancient civilizations there has always been "a plant" in initiation ceremonies, having as examples: Lotus for the Egyptians or Morddago for the Druids, among many other examples. And in all of them, the meaning is similar to that given for the Acacia branch.

After the brief description of the previous paragraphs, what opinion or interpretation would you give regarding the branch of Acacia ?, I think this forum can be very rewarding. I thank you in advance for reading this writing.

Barranquilla_-_Acacia.jpg

(https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Barranquilla_-_Acacia.jpg)
Image N°1: An Acacia tree in the city of Barranquilla, in northern Colombia (2008).

sa-Acacia.-Barranquilla.gif

(http://glennbettyburke.blogspot.com/)
Image N°2: An Acacia tree in the historical area of the city of Barranquilla, in northern Colombia.

acacia_morada2014.jpg

(https://christopherburkecolombia.wordpress.com/category/acacia-morada/)
Image N°3: An Acacia tree in the city of Bogotá DC, Colombia.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Why would the assassins take the time to mark a grave and therefore make evident the presence of a body and leave a trail of evidence if they were trying to outrun their accountability?

Bloke

Premium Member
Why would the assassins take the time to mark a grave and therefore make evident the presence of a body and leave a trail of evidence if they were trying to outrun their accountability?
Because they regretted their actions.

Mike Martin

Eternal Apprentice
Premium Member
What may be helpful:

1) In the English ceremonies it is one of the groups of FCs who mark HA's first burial place with a sprig of acacia while they report back to KS.
2) It is also nice to know that the wood/timber from an acacia tree in Hebrew is known as shittim.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
What may be helpful:

1) In the English ceremonies it is one of the groups of FCs who mark HA's first burial place with a sprig of acacia while they report back to KS.
2) It is also nice to know that the wood/timber from an acacia tree in Hebrew is known as shittim.

So, in the Preston-Webb version it is the ruffians and in the E-ceremonies it is the searchers?

dfreybur

Premium Member
In the version of the degree that I learned there is a prayer that says acacia trees tend to regrow from their roots when cut down.

In the degree I took this as an allusion to the afterlife. Then I learned that the night of raising is called a Masonic birthday as we are reborn into the next phase of life.

I notice that the acacia can be Masonry itself which grows on the legend of Hiram Abiff.

I wonder how many think of Masonry as a regrowth of some other organization that was cut down. Many would love for us to be descended from the Knights Templar though there is little evidence for that.

Mark89

In the version of the degree that I learned there is a prayer that says acacia trees tend to regrow from their roots when cut down.

In the degree I took this as an allusion to the afterlife. Then I learned that the night of raising is called a Masonic birthday as we are reborn into the next phase of life.

I notice that the acacia can be Masonry itself which grows on the legend of Hiram Abiff.

I wonder how many think of Masonry as a regrowth of some other organization that was cut down. Many would love for us to be descended from the Knights Templar though there is little evidence for that.

Excellent opinion, It’s a good relate between the Non Masonic life and the Masonic life, when the man pass the columns and begin to polished the stone and all metaphorical things in our lifes for build the Internal Temple.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app

dfreybur

Premium Member
Interesting. Here it is the searchers who are FCs

In all of my jurisdictions the searchers are FCs. In California it is explicitly stated that the searchers have been assigned that task from the disgrace of having been a part of the conspiracy before relenting. In my other jurisdictions that is implicit based on stage directions rather than explicit.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Of course it is the searchers who are FC.

However, in Preston-Webb, it is the ruffians who plant the sprig, not the searchers.

Keith C

However, in Preston-Webb, it is the ruffians who plant the sprig, not the searchers.

Here in our ritual the ruffians plant the spring and the recanted searcher FCs discover the grave by accidentally finding the sprig.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
According to NM; so that they might be able to find it again should circumstances render it necessary.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
According to NM; so that they might be able to find it again should circumstances render it necessary.
Yes, the same sentiment is conveyed elsewhere as well. But what exactly constitutes a "circumstance" which would render finding a concealed body, one that is evidence of murder that required concealing a body to begin with, necessary?