My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what happens after??

garyb

i just found a few lodges close to where i live, i plan on visiting them this week and asking what i need to do to become a member! i have read that my paper work will go in front of a panel. when i get accepted to be a mason what happens then??? how do i move up the ranks? is there a time line that i have to be one level for so long?

M

mark!

http://www.masonsoftexas.com/showthread.php/10425-How-to-Join?p=43424#post43424

That thread has some good information in it. Typically, one "moves up" by showing up, and learning as much as possible, but first focus on learning your degree work with your instructor first, learn it well. Don't just memorize it, learn what it means, and take it to heart. Learn the obligation and abide by it, reach out to those in need and seek help when you need it, as you have done so here. Without my law book, I can't remember if the time between degrees is 30 or 60 days, but I think it's a minimum of 30 days but no more than 90? I could be way off base, mixing masonic work with my job training deadlines, ha. After you've become a full fledged Master Mason, lodges vary as far as how soon one may move up. I've seen some that will put newly raised Masons right in to the rotation as soon as possible, others rather you wait the time with patience, learn as much as possible and prove that you can show up to meetings and study groups. Stick with it no matter the course though. Good luck, welcome to MoT, and if you have any questions please feel free to PM me or just post here. Best wishes.

M

mark!

No problem at all Gary. Keep us posted on your progress sir!

garyb

heading to the lodge tomorrow once i get off work.... really excited to get started on my journey.....

cemab4y

Premium Member
You should visit: http://www.masonicinfo.com/approaching.htm

Submit your paperwork, and if accepted you will be on your way to being a full-fledged Master Mason. Once you have completed, the Master Mason degree, you will have completed the highest degree in Masonry, the "black belt" of Masonry. I wish you every possible success.

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
Typically, you submit your petition to join a Lodge. They will read it at the next meeting and the WM will assign an Investigation Committee who will meet with you and do an interview. They turn in their results and based on those results, balloting will occur at the next stated meeting. Then they will set a time to initiate you, which will be your EA degree. You have a year to turn in your EA work. After you have turned in your EA work, and at least 2 weeks after your EA degree, you will get your FC degree. You again have a year to turn in your FC. After you turn in your FC, and at least 2 weeks after your FC degree, you will get your MM degree. You then have 90 days to turn in your MM work and complete the A.L.L. Program.

So short form, it takes at about 2 months to get started, then it's up to you how quickly you "rank up".

garyb

dave, are you alowed to tell me what EA, FC degrees are?? i read that you take tests in between degrees! is that part right? tests make me nervouse lol...

cemab4y

Premium Member
Let not your heart be troubled. Here is the sequence: You submit your petition to be made a Mason. The lodge does an investigation. The investigation reports to the lodge. Your application is voted on, and if successful, you are invited to attend a degree meeting.

You go to the lodge, take the Entered Apprentice Degree. You will have to memorize a certain portion of what you have experienced. Don't worry, the exam is not hard. You pass the exam. Then you take the Fellow Craft Degree, stand an exam, and then you take the Master Mason degree.

The entire process usually takes about 4-5 months to complete. Then when you are a Master Mason, that is the "black belt" of masonry, there are no higher degrees.

Do not let concerns about the exams frighten you. You will be coached, and no one fails the exams.

If you have decided that Masonry is right for you, then go ahead and ask for a petition, and submit it!

"If you do nothing, you get nothing" - Aung San Suu Kyi, Nobel Peace Prize winner.

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
dave, are you alowed to tell me what EA, FC degrees are?? i read that you take tests in between degrees! is that part right? tests make me nervouse lol...

I can't reveal the degrees or what the work is you have to learn between the degrees. Besides, even if I was allowed to reveal it, that would take all the fun out of it. Just rest easy knowing that it isn't anything the 100,000 active Masons in Texas have done before you.