My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is it about Freemasonry?

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
Why are you involved in something which from the outside, may appear silly - I mean a group of men dressed in aprons, speaking in old english with funny handshakes.

What drives you to be a Freemason? I'm not talking about showing up at Lodge once a month, but something much deeper.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
For me, it's the "esprit de corps" i.e. the sense of belonging to a group of like-minded men- one that's existed since antiquity. I also love the beauty of the ritual & the education I get.

owls84

Premium Member
I have this asked a ton when we are talking to candidates. I had to think about this for a while and this is what I realized. Had it not been for Freemasonry, I would have never got to meet some of the best friends I now have. Not to mention you all. Freemasonry takes people with so many backgrounds who would have NEVER crossed paths and puts them together for a much better cause. I love it. Even they guys I don't agree with help me see a point of view I may have never seen before.

Just sit and think about that. Next time you are in Lodge or having a great time with a Brother. Would you have met him if the Lodge was not there? That is what keeps me excited just wondering who Masonry is going to allow me to meet.

drapetomaniac

Premium Member
Premium Member
I have this asked a ton when we are talking to candidates.

I wonder if the answer remains the same from being a candidate to renewing dues for the first or fifth time.

My answer going in was partially being among men who spent at least ome effort being introspective. A lot of life is gone through apathetically or without much thought.

One of the original sparks that opened the pathway was realizing the authors (on mysticism or other religious topics) on my shelves or who I had read years ago were either freemasons or related to it. I've been glad to see more and more of that inside of masonry.

TexMass

The real question is what is it about this fraternity that when men join they remain in it until they die? I've posed this question in response to a young man who said "isn't that an old mans club"?