My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what is the first step in becoming a Freemason?

DJones

My name is Devon, I'm 24 years old a college student living in Atlanta Georgia. In one of my college classes we did a week long study on symbols and during that time some Masonic symbols came up. Over the past couple of months I've done a little bit of research Freemasonry and I've become extremely interested. I'm not sure exactly what the necessary steps are in becoming a Freemason. If someone could please help me out and give me some more information or insight into what it is and I need to do I would really appreciate it. thank you and I hope to become a fellow brother very soon.

Winter

Premium Member
Welcome to the forum Devon. The first step will be to find the local Lodges in your area. I strongly caution you to make sure they are Regular Lodges. There are many pretend organizations out there that may rob you of the experience.

In Georgia, you have two options for Regular Freemasonry:

The Grand Lodge of Georgia.
http://www.glofga.org/

The Most Worshipful Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Georgia.
http://mwphglga.org/

Do your research. Ask questions. Each Grand Lodge will have options to contact them or to locate Lodges that are local to you that you can contact as well. I wish you well in your journey, Devon! Feel free to ask questions here and please let us know how your quest goes.

DJones

thank you very much, I am going to look into the information that you've given me as soon as possible.

dfreybur

Premium Member
The first step is to ask a man who you believe to be a Mason how to become a Mason. We don't in general have invitations so you have to ask. You have taken the first step.

US lodges tend to be very open. Their schedules are on line. Their address is in the phone book. Their schedule is on their door. Please do email or phone to say you want to show up and meet the members but never wait on any response. Go an hour before the start of the meeting and introduce yourself.

Try that with a few lodges near you. Decide which one you are most compatible with. From then on show up every month. Ask for a petition. In a few months the members will know you well enough to sign for you.

Please let us know as you progress. We look forward to the day to transition from Mister to Brother.

Bloke

Premium Member
Lodges may vary quite a lot in their quality and interests. You may find it worthwhile to speak to the secretaries of several lodges in your area and ask to attend their festive boards (meals) to see if one is better suited to you.
In the early stages i think a major factor is trying to pick a lodge that meets on a night that suits you at a manageable distance from home where they guy you contact is interested, follows up and seems nice, . As a MM, you can go shopping for a new lodge and evaluate is more easily, but if you do have the chance to check out a few lodges, your more likely to fit one that fits...

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
2B1Ask1, good luck!
Welcome to the forum Devon. The first step will be to find the local Lodges in your area. I strongly caution you to make sure they are Regular Lodges. There are many pretend organizations out there that may rob you of the experience.

In Georgia, you have two options for Regular Freemasonry:

The Grand Lodge of Georgia.
http://www.glofga.org/

The Most Worshipful Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Georgia.
http://mwphglga.org/

Do your research. Ask questions. Each Grand Lodge will have options to contact them or to locate Lodges that are local to you that you can contact as well. I wish you well in your journey, Devon! Feel free to ask questions here and please let us know how your quest goes.
There you go, sound advice. Welcome to the forum my friend and good luck in these endeavors.

BroPowell1128

Lodges may vary quite a lot in their quality and interests. You may find it worthwhile to speak to the secretaries of several lodges in your area and ask to attend their festive boards (meals) to see if one is better suited to you.
This is true. This is when you will see the Lodge at it's best. Fellowship is a big thing!

Winter

Premium Member
Do you have lodge here in Dubai, UAE sir?
Regular recognized Freemasonry does not exist in UAE. Any organizations claiming to be Freemasonry there will likely be bogus. Unless this has changed. If anyone knows a regular Lodge there please correct me.

Transmitted via my R5 astromech.

Zigfred

Thank sir for your info. Please let us know if lodge here in UAE are already establish because i am willing to join the brotherhood.

Thanks,
Zigfred

Zigfred

Thank you sir for your info. Please let us know if lodge here in UAE are already establish because i am willing to join the brotherhood.

Thanks,
Zigfred

Bloke

Premium Member
salutations, I live in Ocho Rios Jamaica, where can I find a ligit lodge nearest to where I am?

Under UGLE
DISTRICT GRAND LODGE OF JAMAICA & THE CAYMAN ISLANDS
District Grand Master
Walter H. Scott, QC

District Grand Secretary
Robert N. Forbes

Address
45-47 Barbados Avenue
Kingston 5
Jamaica
West Indies

Tel: [1876] 929 4464, [1876] 926 6018, [1876] 754 3961http://www.dgljamaica.com/

cemab4y

Premium Member
I wish you luck, as well. There are lodges in most (but not all) English-speaking countries, throughout the world.

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member
My name is Devon, I'm 24 years old a college student living in Atlanta Georgia. In one of my college classes we did a week long study on symbols and during that time some Masonic symbols came up. Over the past couple of months I've done a little bit of research Freemasonry and I've become extremely interested. I'm not sure exactly what the necessary steps are in becoming a Freemason. If someone could please help me out and give me some more information or insight into what it is and I need to do I would really appreciate it. thank you and I hope to become a fellow brother very soon.

Decide which grand lodge you want to join. Your options will probably be limited under the Grand Lodge of Georgia but Gate City Lodge #2 has a few Black members if memory serves me correct.

@Derinique Kendrick may be able to assist you if you are interested in the Prince Hall side. I believe he is from Georgia. Send him a private message or maybe he will respond. Best of luck to you!

Brother H

Devon,
Wish you all the luck for the new step if you decide to take it.
However, if I may ask, why do you want to join? what made you feel more interested?
Regards,