What is traveling to you?

Discussion in 'The Traveling Freemason' started by goomba, Jul 12, 2017.

1. goomba

goomba Neo-Antient Site Benefactor

So I read this today:

"Traveling is a brutality. It forces you to trust strangers and to lose sight of all that familiar comfort of home and friends. You are constantly off balance. Nothing is yours except the essential things - air, sleep, dreams, the sea, the sky - all things towards the eternal or what we imagine of it." - Cesare Pavese

In a Masonic context traveling is one of our greatest privileges. We run into strangers who are also are most trusted family. Their lodge, while not our home lodge, should always feel as if it is. Being off balance is right! We all know that only our way is right lol. It can be confusing but ultimately very educational to be off balance.

The middle bit "nothing is yours except the essential things" really hit me. Have I maybe become to accustomed to the things which are not essential that I forget the beauty in the essential.

Traveling is simply moving. You can travel the world over and never move a foot, such as reading a book. But actually traveling to another Masonic place (a lodge in your jurisdiction or a foreign one) can and does expand Masonry.

2. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

Clearly, the quoted author hasn't traveled with my wife, who has brought everything that is hers ( as I sit here in a Florida hotel room).

But yes, I agree with your point regarding traveling

3. goomba

goomba Neo-Antient Site Benefactor

I almost spit water all over my work desk.

jermy Bell, LK600 and Ripcord22A like this.
  4. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

For an Italian, born in the beginning of the 20th century, traveling probably was brutal. Being an anti-fascist certainly wouldn't have helped.
    Glenn, I can only imagine...

5. Thomas Stright

Thomas Stright Premium Member

I married her sister, The wife can't go anywhere overnight without the kitchen sink.

I used to travel for work to the tune of several hundred flights a year and 250-275 nights in hotels. Money was great but I don't miss it at all.

6. LK600

LK600 Registered User

In some ways... that sounds freeing to me.

Beyond that... yes, when my wife and I travel... I have a carry on, she checks 2 suitcases and a carry on. :(

I agree as well.

David Duke likes this.
  7. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Nice!
    Lol!

Share My Freemasonry