My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What keeps men in Masonry?

cemab4y

Premium Member
I am interested to know what keeps men in Masonry. Different men join for different reasons. I guess different aspects of Masonry appeal to the different types of men who are Masons. I see sometimes, men join the fraternity, and after a year or two ,will drop out. Why? And more importantly, what can be done to keep men who would otherwise demit and drop out, from doing so?

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
men join the fraternity, and after a year or two ,will drop out. Why? And more importantly, what can be done to keep men who would otherwise demit and drop out, from doing so?

Sometimes it can be due to employment or family issues. I think that, many times, it is because they haven't found what they were looking for in Masonry, whatever that may have been. In that case, we need to learn what the individual is seeking & attempt to provide it.

Bro. Brad Marrs

Premium Member
In that case, we need to learn what the individual is seeking & attempt to provide it.

Good question Brother Martin. This is something I am struggling with right now in preparation for my trip to the East next year. Dues notices are about to go out, and I think I'm going to give the Secretary a small survey to send with them. I'm going to ask the brethren what they would like to see more of, and then go from there. I'll have a small list of things to chose from, and a place for them to add something of their own.

Those who I have polled, want the same as me, and that is more education. Therefore, I'm going to arrange to have presenters from outside the Lodge come in to shed further light, in addition to our own small education opportunities. I'm also planning on providing classes during stated meetings for various Masonic activities, such as balloting, investigations, dispute resolution, and other things like that.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Why? And more importantly, what can be done to keep men who would otherwise demit and drop out, from doing so?
Lodges can start by delivering on the promise: Freemasonry makes good men better.

peace out

Premium Member
It's of my opinion that many current Freemasons do not contemplate their initiations and esoteric work enough. It is precisely those rituals, which when considered properly, make a good man better. The ponderance and appreciation of that work then encourages me to remain active that others might also benefit.

fairbanks1363pm

My luch has had a good deal of success retaining all new members the last couple of years because we have activity and fun. I think this is key. If all you are doing is meeting and going home there is a problem. Masonry is built on relationships. If you are not having opportunity for your members to do this then what are we a part of? We have too many stale lodges. I have visited several lodges and have thought what am I doing here, I should be at home spending time with my family. My lodge wasnt far from this several years back but we have changed the tide. Activity breeds activity.

LukeD

Masonic Education, brotherhood, or camaraderie between like minded people are non existent in most lodges I have visited or heard of. Those are some of the things I crave in masonry, but have not yet found. I know the lack of masonic education is a major gripe between most new MM. My views may not be popular, buts it's been my opinion of the fraternity that we are more concerned with memorizing work and not making mistakes, rather than learning what the work really means and what we are teaching a brother, and at the same time perfecting our memory and degree work. Most of what I learn is through books and online forums. I'm lucky if we get a 5 min short talk on a Masonic topic after spending an hour discussing a water bill and going over the minutes. I have visited several Lodges recently, and felt like a complete outsider. I felt the same way as the other brother did in the previous post,"why am I here, and not with my family." Yet, I still find myself going to meetings and degrees hoping it will get better, and I hope I always do. I'm bound to find what I'm looking for.

jwhoff

Premium Member
One of the younger brothers came to me last week and said he spoke for the group and they wanted more. I told him I would like to meet with the group and let them air their views. This may be the breakthrough my home lodge is waiting for. We are in a state of generational transformation.

Most lodges burst onto the scene with a flurry of work and activity. They then drift in and out of slumps as do people and cultures. Hopefully this is our ticket back to the top. I can't wait to get past "paying the bills" and back to serious masonry. That takes young guys who are hungry. Last week was a very good sign.

Last edited:

jwhoff

Premium Member
Again, Brother Bill_Lins77488 shows us the way.

There are those in leadership roles in masonry who often need to "... or get off the pot."

Love the symbolism there brother.

:14: