My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What would you do?

Angler

What would you do if you observed a brother violating his obligation during lodge? Avoid him? Confront him? Ignore him?

Is it generally ignored or do your lodges take it seriously enough to respond?

This is more than a rhetorical question, but I appreciate your input.

nwendele

Depends on what it is, but usually, just taking a brother aside and reminding him of something works. Never ignore it.

Benton

Premium Member
Before you do anything else, pull him aside, talk to him in private, in a concerned, loving manner. Don't make him defensive, try to help, not harm. If you approach it in the right way, he'll probably be understanding and take it in the manner it is being offered.

bullrack33

Premium Member
Bro. Ray, I personally believe that we are all obligated to assist one another. Remember what is taught us by the EA lecture; "Truth is a divine attribute and the foundation of every virtue. To be good and true is the first lesson we are taught in Masonry. On this theme we contemplate and by its dictates endeavor to regulate our conduct. Hence, while influenced by this principle, hypocrisy and deceit are unknown among us. Sincerity and plain-dealing distinguish us and the heart and the tongue join in promoting each others welfare, and rejoicing in each others prosperity."

Any Brother who is straying away from his Obligation(s), whether it be in Lodge or not, should be approached and an attempt made to provide just, gentle and sound brotherly counsel. I believe that there are way to many instances of "straying" Brethren being ignored or avoided. Just my two cents......:cool:

Last edited:

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
nwendele:66886 said:
Depends on what it is, but usually, just taking a brother aside and reminding him of something works. Never ignore it.

This