My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the best way to learn more about Martinism and Rosicrucianism?

texanmason

Howdy.

I'm currently slogging my way through Of Errors & Truth by Louis-Claude de Saint-Martin and feeling pretty lost. I don't know if it's the 18th-Century verbiage, or something else, but whenever I pick up the book, it's not really clicking with me.

I'd like to learn more about Martinism - does anyone have good educational recommendations for me after I'm done with Of Errors?

Additionally, while I know that Rosicrucianism and Martinism are pretty different, does anyone have good educational recommendations on Rosicrucianism? Trying to stay away from new-age stuff like AMORC.

Thanks!

darsehole

Howdy.

I'm currently slogging my way through Of Errors & Truth by Louis-Claude de Saint-Martin and feeling pretty lost. I don't know if it's the 18th-Century verbiage, or something else, but whenever I pick up the book, it's not really clicking with me.

I'd like to learn more about Martinism - does anyone have good educational recommendations for me after I'm done with Of Errors?

Additionally, while I know that Rosicrucianism and Martinism are pretty different, does anyone have good educational recommendations on Rosicrucianism? Trying to stay away from new-age stuff like AMORC.

Thanks!

The Rosicrucian Enlightenment by Frances Yates.

There is a esoteric Lodge that discusses it, with its own degree, from what I’ve heard. Not sure what it’s called. I found nothing in the popular books about that degree (it’s like a Scottish Rite or Royal Arch degree, which is my understanding).

The rumours I heard is that it’s a “invitation only” Rite. I know nothing about it except for hints and rumours given to me by Brothers I trust and respect.

But the Yates book does exist. That I promise!

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app

CLewey44

Howdy.

Thanks!
Chris McIntosh did a pretty good "intro" book call the Rosicrucians History Mythology and Ritual (something like that). Pretty easy read. Not to knock any AMORC members but if you are in that the SRICF wont come knocking to my understanding. I think the best way to potentially meet Masonic Rosicrucians would be via York or Scottish Rites. I know YR has Christian requirement (KT requires willingness to defend it from my understanding) as does the SRICF. I don't think there is any harm in showing an interest in SRICF but I don't think you can ask to join.

Elexir

Howdy.

Thanks!

As for rosicrucianism, if you have facebook I recomend the group rocicrucian tradition. Many members from diffrent orders.

On http://pansophers.com there are lot of diffrent texts by members and the founder

CLewey44

Howdy.

Thanks!
There is the Hermetic Order of Martinists but not in the U.S. I believe in England and maybe Netherlands. There are several others that are non-Masonic that may be worth a look. I believe one is in Austin.

http://freemasonry.bcy.ca/texts/martinist_orders.html

Last edited:

chrmc

Could someone give me a nutshell explanation of "Martinism"?

It's amazing what you can get with Google and Wikipedia... ;)

Here goes:
Martinism is a form of Christian mysticism and esoteric Christianity concerned with the fall of the first man, his state of material privation from his divine source, and the process of his return, called 'Reintegration' or illumination.

As a mystical tradition, it was first transmitted through a masonic high-degree system established around 1740 in France by Martinez de Pasqually, and later propagated in different forms by his two students Louis Claude de Saint-Martin and Jean-Baptiste Willermoz.

The term Martinism applies to both this particular doctrine and the teachings of the reorganized "Martinist Order" founded in 1886

chrmc

But to add a little more, I think that both Rosecrucianism and Martinism are really hard to wrap your heard around initially. Reading a lot of the primary sources either becomes dull due to the language and age of the text, or they are so filled with metaphors that you hardly know what they are talking about.

I'd suggest to get a hold of texts that talk about the philosophy. Amorc and others have published some decent ones you can find on the internet. Or if need be read some Hermeticism first. That's a good foundation to jump into some of the other parts.

chrmc

A question to ask is also whether you are talking about Masonic Rosecrucianism or there more general one, which often ends up being over in the magical systems in style with the Hermeric Order of the Golden Dawn. Their foundation is the same, but they've developed vastly different today where the various Masonic SR... groups tend to be more philosophic, and the Golden Dawn ones more practical.

Both build on the same ideas, but you find very different emphasis and execution, and the litterature around them will also differ.

Bloke

Premium Member
There is the Hermetic Order of Martinists but not in the U.S. I believe in England and maybe Netherlands. There are several others that are non-Masonic that may be worth a look. I believe one is in Austin.

http://freemasonry.bcy.ca/texts/martinist_orders.html
It does not add much value to an otherwise interesting thread- but there is a Martinist Order in Melbourne Australia. It naturally stands outside Freemasonry. I have only known two Brothers who were members, it meets on a Sunday morning.