when to take a ballot and when not to

Discussion in 'Masonic Jurisprudence' started by Cmcghee, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Cmcghee

Cmcghee Registered User

I was having a discussion the other day about balloting. I am under the impression that if an investigation team comes back with three unfavorable reports on a potential candidate then no ballot is required. The team is dissolved and the petition rejected. I am more than likely wrong but i seek your guidance.

2. Bill Lins

Bill Lins Moderating Staff Staff Member

Not so. The investigating committee is advisory in nature. A ballot must still be taken.

3. Ed Nelson

Ed Nelson Registered User

That makes sense. Although if the investigating committee are voting members, it's just a (necessary) formality, as the petitioner is pretty much guaranteed to fail the vote.

4. Mac

Mac Moderator Premium Member

This brings up another question I had. Is there a "cheat sheet" of when a ballot must be taken vs. a show of hands, how many it takes to reject in each scenario, etc? (this is all matters, not just candidates)

I believe one of the LIFE books had something like this, but they're out of date, so I don't use it as any kind of reference.

5. owls84

owls84 Moderator Premium Member

You are in luck. I have made one that when you click on the article referenced it will take you to the law. It is on a spreadsheet.

Click here and download it

6. Dow Mathis

Dow Mathis Premium Member

That.
    Is.
    So.
    Cool.

Thanks!

7. Benton

Benton Premium Member

Wow, owls. That's just about the best chart I've ever seen. It clears up so much. Already saved to flash, printed out, and will go in my copy of the law book for quick reference.

8. Bill Lins

Bill Lins Moderating Staff Staff Member

I'm putting it into our Lodge Manual. Thanks, owls!

9. Mac

Mac Moderator Premium Member

Outstanding work, brother owls!

Share My Freemasonry