My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When to turn in your work?

MGM357

Can a canidate only turn in his work in a stated or called meeting, or does it matter?
I thought it was only during a stated meeting because that is when voting takes place.

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
Correct. It is my understanding that you may confer degrees on a called meeting but proficiencies must be done during a stated meeting.

js4253

Premium Member
Premium Member
Correct. It is my understanding that you may confer degrees on a called meeting but proficiencies must be done during a stated meeting.

If that is the case, I have seen many illegal proficiencies. I was under the impression a meeting could be called to hear proficiencies.

js4253

Premium Member
Premium Member
I looked this up after my last post.

Art. 235. (273). Called Meetings: Business Permitted.
Called Meetings may be ordered by the Master of the Lodge, or
by the Senior Warden in his absence, or by the Junior Warden in
the absence of both, at any time not prohibited by law for any one
or more of the following purposes: to receive the Grand Master
or his Representative or other distinguished Mason; to confer
degrees on candidates previously elected; to examine and vote on
the proficiency of candidates; to install officers; to conduct funerals,
to receive and vote on adoption of by-laws under Subdivision 4
of Art. 216; to adopt by-laws and amendments thereto when duly
called for that purpose after reasonable notice given; to transact
any other business not required by law to be acted on at a Stated
Meeting. The Secretary may be ordered to issue summons for such
meetings when the circumstances are deemed such as to warrant
it; such summons must be in writing and under the seal of the
Lodge.

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
That's what I was told but after reviewing article 436 I have no idea..gotta love GL mumbo jumbo:

" candidate may be examined as to his proficiency at a stated or called meeting after receiving the Entered Apprentice or Fellowcraft Degree."

Would this not apply to turning in a Masters? Glad you asked that question!

RedTemplar

Johnny Joe Combs
Premium Member
In Kentucky, a proficiency can examined at any stated meeting or at any meeting called for that purpose. In other words, the only business that can be conducted at a called meeting is that specific business the WM states. A stated meeting, on the other hand, is for any and all business that may regularly come before it.

owls84

Premium Member
Ok, I read this as the EA or FC examination can be done at a called or stated meeting as per Art. 235 and 436 as Bros. Hale and Blake stated. The Masters examination is done in accordanance with Art. 439, Examination in the Master's Degree. This just states that it must be done in an "open" Lodge. That leads me to believe that it, just as the EA and FC, can be done in called or stated.

Personally, I have never seen a lodge perform examinations at a Stated Meeting.

TCShelton

Founding Member
Premium Member
Personally, I have never seen a lodge perform examinations at a Stated Meeting.

I've seen more of them done in the last month at rural lodges at Stated Meetings than I've seen in the entire time I've been a Mason.:beer:

MGM357

My opinion is that the work needs to be voted on by every member possible, and most of the time there are more members present during a stated meeting than a called. Could someone C&P Article 333 and see if we can compare to the other Articles that have been posted in this thread?

owls84

Premium Member
My experience, which is limited, is that the members that only show up for stated meetings really don't care to see this. Otherwise they would show up at a called meeting. If you waited to Stated meeting that could be a LONG meeting. We had 4 brothers give the EA work back the other day and since ALL the questions must be asked and ALL the answers given then it could be a LONG meeting. We have up to 10 petitions to read next meeting what if those guys get done about the same time, if they are ready it would be a shame to wait and let them give it back at stated.

My opinion on it is if the candidate is ready then get it done. No point in waiting, if the members cared to see it they can come out and see it. We plan it well enough to inform everyone that we will be doing the examinations on this date and the degree on this date pending the acceptance. Not to mention our site calendar is updated constantly. I guess I am asking why does it matter if 40 people see it or 4 as long as he knows the work?

TCShelton

Founding Member
Premium Member
Yeah, our handful of old members who come to stated meetings but not degrees, etc, would lose it if they had to sit through proficiencies at stated meetings. As Josh said, they don't care to see it, they are just happy it gets done. I think this is a blessing in disguise.

MGM357

the laws of the GL that I've read really doesn't determine one or the other. So, I guess it depends on each circumstance. Peace and Harmony must prevail !

Wingnut

Premium Member
Can be done at a called meeting, as long as its stated as part of the reason FOR the called meeting. Ive seen a called meeting just to do a recent MM prof so he could get it done before the SR reunion.

jonesvilletexas

Premium Member
Art. 436. (473). Examination: How Conducted. A candidate
may be examined as to his proficiency at a stated or called
meeting after receiving the Entered Apprentice or Fellowcraft
Degree.
The examination must be conducted only in the Lodgeroom
with the Lodge opened in the degree for which the examination
is being given.
The Entered Apprentice examination may be conducted in
one section of the proficiency examination at a time, and each
section can be balloted on separately after it is conducted.

MGM357

A MM proficiency is turned at a stated meeting only? Art. 436 doesn't say anything about a MM.

owls84

Premium Member
Art. 496 as stated above covers MM. It is different than the EA or FC because on top of the proficiency completion of an approved coarse is required. It just states must take place at an "open" meeting and does not go in to detail as to stated or called. This leads me to believe that since it does not state otherwise either is fine.

MGM357

There wasn't a completion course in 1992 when I turned my work in. When did this become law?