My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who can propose resolutions to the grand lodge?

MGM357

Can only Past Masters propose or any Master Mason in good standing?

(Please keep this thread in the Sanctum, I will elaborate more at a later time, Thanks)

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
A resolution may be proposed in the name of a Lodge if, by majority vote, the Lodge approves. Otherwise, only Past Masters may propose one.

From the final paragraph of Article 172, Laws of the GLoT:

"All Resolutions proposing any change in this Grand Lodge
or in its Laws shall be submitted in writing and in the manner
herein prescribed either by a Lodge of its obedience or by a member
of this Grand Lodge or as defined in Article II, Section 1 of the
Constitution. If submitted by a Lodge, the Secretary of same shall
attest to it having been read and approved by a majority of its members
present at a regular stated meeting of the Lodge held prior to
May 15 of the year submitted to Grand Lodge. And, if submitted by
one or more members of this Grand Lodge, it shall be signed by each
such member(s) with the name of each member printed below his
signature together with the name and number of the Lodge of which
each signer is a Past Master and a member in good standing."

Last edited:

MGM357

Last night we were practiced for a Fellow craft degree for next Thurs. When we got to the 2nd section, I noticed during the lecture that the WM stayed in the East and our mock canidate was sitting in the southeast. After practice was over, I asked, Isn't the WM and the canidate supposed to be standing by the stairway and explaining to the canidate. I was then told the GL changed this a few years back.

I can't understand why would anyone would want to change this. When I passed to this degree I found the explanation interesting while looking at the 357. This degree sometimes is the Rodney Dangerfield of the 1st three. The Q&A's aren't as many, so turning the work in usually happens quickly, and then MM.

I'm not sure if my Lodge would want to submit a resolution to the GL. How would I approach the my Lodge?

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Have your Secretary put you on the agenda for the next stated meeting of your Lodge under "New Business". When you are given the floor, tell the Brethren what you wish to do and why, and make a motion that the Lodge sponsor your resolution. The WM will call for a "second" and, if he gets one, will open the floor for discussion, amendment, etc.. If the Lodge approves your motion, you write up your resolution & present it at a subsequent meeting for review &, hopefully, adoption. If adopted, you send it to the Grand Secretary by May 15th for consideration.

Personally, I think you have a great idea &, if your resolution makes it onto the floor @ Grand Lodge, I'll vote for it.

RAY

For many years the second section of the FC degree in many lodges when the Lecture is given is a walk through with the candidate. This has always been against the committee on work recommendation and we were not supposed to do it. However many still do and consider it to be the best degree of the three as to impression on the candidate. Many of our PGM have stated it was the best degree they had when receiving the walk through . Its like so many things that the majority of brothers like and few don't but I believe if it ever went to the floor it could be put into positive use. My personal view has and will always be the walk through on the lecture definitely impreses the candidate.

Hippie19950

Premium Member
My degree was done with the walk. I found it interesting, and informative. At that point, I had made it through the EA initiation, and lived. I had made it through the work, and lived. I decided I was indeed in good hands from then on, and was able to relax a little, and enjoy what was being presented to me. I also was to the point of realizing that in addition to all of the work I was learning, these Brethren who had done the same, had learned a LOT more to be able to put these degrees on. I wondered how they could do this, and not be confused... Well, I now know some of it, they do get confused, but that is why WE practice for the new candidates. I think it is a wonderful part of the ceremony, and would hope it would continue to be done.

david918

Premium Member
I am really looking forward to seeing the FC degree in Minnesota when we are up there for our cook off next month.From what the brothers in Minnesota are telling me it is about twice as long as our FC degree.I also found out last night that Anoka lodge is conferring it on 8 brothers that night going to be interesting to see how they do that I guess probably like they do at a York Rite festival with one actual candidate and the other 7 watching.

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
Have your Secretary put you on the agenda for the next stated meeting of your Lodge under "New Business". When you are given the floor, tell the Brethren what you wish to do and why, and make a motion that the Lodge sponsor your resolution. The WM will call for a "second" and, if he gets one, will open the floor for discussion, amendment, etc.. If the Lodge approves your motion, you write up your resolution & present it at a subsequent meeting for review &, hopefully, adoption. If adopted, you send it to the Grand Secretary by May 15th for consideration.

Personally, I think you have a great idea &, if your resolution makes it onto the floor @ Grand Lodge, I'll vote for it.

let's put a committee on it right away!