My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who do we trust?

BRYCE ON SOCIETY

- Our family and friends, our co-workers, our boss…?
(Click for AUDIO VERSION)
To use this segment in a Radio broadcast or Podcast, send TIM a request.
trust1.jpg
Have you ever noticed there doesn’t seem to be a lot of trust anymore? We tend not to trust our government, our companies, our coworkers, the media, our neighbors. Heck, we’re even suspicious about the motives of our own relatives. It wasn’t always like this. We used to openly trust people and never feared political back stabbing. Alas, no more. We used to leave our house and cars unlocked; even going so far as to loan a friend a car with no questions asked. Again, no more. When we delegated a task or responsibility to someone, we knew it would be completed properly. No more.
It is natural to gravitate to people we trust, and it’s understandable as to why:
We respect their judgment.
We value their opinion.
We feel free to exchange ideas and thoughts with them, including secrets.
Think about it, aren’t these the attributes of a true friend or business colleague? In other words, they exhibit the same moral values we do, if not better. When a trust is broken though, it is difficult if not impossible to repair, and our interpersonal relationships rapidly deteriorate.
The decline of trust denotes a change in our culture and not necessarily for the better. I believe it indicates a more permissive and immoral society whereby a person’s word is no longer his/her bond and people become more concerned with self-preservation as opposed to the welfare of others around them. In other words, the decline of trust represents a splintering of people. As an example, instead of delegating responsibility and empowering people to do their job, we tend to micromanage their activities, which is an open admission we do not trust their judgment. This leads to discontent among the workforce and promotes individualism over teamwork.
As indicated earlier, building trust is a difficult task, particularly if it is broken. The best thing is not to break it in the first place. To build or restore trust it is necessary to offer some visible demonstration of trust, be it something as simple as delivering on a promise, maintaining a confidence, or lending a helping hand when push comes to shove. Speaking from experience, it is always comforting to know that someone is watching your backside as opposed to your wallet.
Regarding the diminishing role of our national motto, “In God We Trust,” some would say this is simply an issue regarding the separation of church and state. As for me, I see it as another sign of the decline of our culture. If we cannot trust God, regardless of our religious denomination, who can we trust?
Originally Published: 1/6/2009
Keep the Faith!
Note: All trademarks both marked and unmarked belong to their respective companies.
mbatim.jpg
Tim Bryce is a writer and the Managing Director of M&JB Investment Company (M&JB) of Palm Harbor, Florida and has over 30 years of experience in the management consulting field. He can be reached at timb001@phmainstreet.com
For Tim’s columns, see:
timbryce.com

Like the article? TELL A FRIEND.Copyright © 2014 by Tim Bryce. All rights reserved.

LAST TIME:* WHAT IS FREEMASONRY?* – Is it a club, a corporation, a religious cult, a PAC, a philanthropy, or a fraternity?

Listen to Tim on WJTN-AM (News Talk 1240) “The Town Square” with host John Siggins (Mon, Wed, Fri, 12:30-3:00pm Eastern), KGAB-AM 650 “The Morning Zone” with host Dave Chaffin (weekdays, 6:00-10:00am Mountain), and KIT-AM 1280 in Yakima, Washington “The Morning News” with hosts Dave Ettl & Lance Tormey (weekdays. 6:00-9:00am Pacific). Or tune-in to Tim’s channel on YouTube.
ghLMB6mHQLc

More...

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
Our SECOND national motto is "In God We Trust". I have always considered it to be the sort of thing exactly and specifically referred to in Matthew chapter 6. "And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward." "In God We Trust" is identical to praying in the corners of the streets, to be seen of men. That is all using "In God We Trust" as a "national motto" and putting it on our money boils down to. It is a big-whopping public display of piety to make us all feel good about ourselves.