My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who runs the lodge???

gonzosatx

I've heard the comment, "The WM does not really run the lodge, but the PM's do", I've also heard that each lodge has between 4 to 6 PM's that secretly run the lodge. How much truth is there to this.

jonesvilletexas

Premium Member
The Secretary is the hardest working member of the lodge and runs the day to day workings of the lodge.

Last edited:

Traveling Man

Premium Member
I've heard the comment, "The WM does not really run the lodge, but the PM's do", I've also heard that each lodge has between 4 to 6 PM's that secretly run the lodge. How much truth is there to this.

ROFLMAO....

If there were three retired Captains on a ship and One current Captain who runs the ship? I think you have your answer.

Jay

It's not ...WHO RUNS THE LODGE.. .but more to the point WHOS GOING TO COME ALONG WITH ME!... I tell myself, IF YOU ARE A GOOD AND TRUE FREEMASON THAY WILL COME. ....Jay W. King ,Lakeworth lodge #1410, W.M.-Pro-Tim / 03.30.2010

kcir

In most of the lodges I have been in, the Master runs the lodge, buttttttt, would be unable to do so properly without a good secretary.

owls84

Premium Member
I would have to disagree with the secretary stuff. Every one of my officers has responsibilities and does just as much, if not more than myself. I just think too often the Secretary does more than he probably should do. Perhaps even what the other officers should be doing. Not to take anything away from other secretaries but I don't think it is fair the "spot light" we get when it takes all of us to do what we do. Maybe we need to be looking at the responsibility list of each officer and redistribute the load.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I just think too often the Secretary does more than he probably should do. Perhaps even what the other officers should be doing.

Amen! I've seen more than one Lodge run into trouble because the Brethren expected the Secretary to do all the work. When he either moved away or quit no one was able or willing to pick up the slack. When I was elected Secretary, I let the Lodge know in no uncertain terms that I had no intention of doing everything- that the other officers had jobs to do & that I expected them to do their own work. I even had a JW once who expected me to fill out his reservation form for the Wardens' Retreat & arrange a hotel room for him. I handed him the form & advised him that I was the Lodge's Secretary, NOT his! Secretaries who do it all (or try to) do a disservice to their Lodges.