Who runs the lodge???

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by gonzosatx, Mar 30, 2010.

1. gonzosatx

gonzosatx Registered User

I've heard the comment, "The WM does not really run the lodge, but the PM's do", I've also heard that each lodge has between 4 to 6 PM's that secretly run the lodge. How much truth is there to this.

2. jonesvilletexas

jonesvilletexas Premium Member

The Secretary is the hardest working member of the lodge and runs the day to day workings of the lodge.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  3. Traveling Man

Traveling Man Premium Member

ROFLMAO....

If there were three retired Captains on a ship and One current Captain who runs the ship? I think you have your answer.

4. Jay

Jay Registered User

It's not ...WHO RUNS THE LODGE.. .but more to the point WHOS GOING TO COME ALONG WITH ME!... I tell myself, IF YOU ARE A GOOD AND TRUE FREEMASON THAY WILL COME. ....Jay W. King ,Lakeworth lodge #1410, W.M.-Pro-Tim / 03.30.2010

5. kcir

kcir Registered User

In most of the lodges I have been in, the Master runs the lodge, buttttttt, would be unable to do so properly without a good secretary.

6. Papatom

Papatom Premium Member Premium Member

That is so true Brother Jerry, But he should not set the agenda, that should be the Masters duty.

7. owls84

owls84 Moderator Premium Member

I would have to disagree with the secretary stuff. Every one of my officers has responsibilities and does just as much, if not more than myself. I just think too often the Secretary does more than he probably should do. Perhaps even what the other officers should be doing. Not to take anything away from other secretaries but I don't think it is fair the "spot light" we get when it takes all of us to do what we do. Maybe we need to be looking at the responsibility list of each officer and redistribute the load.

8. JTM

JTM "Just in case" Premium Member

yep

9. Bill Lins

Bill Lins Moderating Staff Staff Member

Amen! I've seen more than one Lodge run into trouble because the Brethren expected the Secretary to do all the work. When he either moved away or quit no one was able or willing to pick up the slack. When I was elected Secretary, I let the Lodge know in no uncertain terms that I had no intention of doing everything- that the other officers had jobs to do & that I expected them to do their own work. I even had a JW once who expected me to fill out his reservation form for the Wardens' Retreat & arrange a hotel room for him. I handed him the form & advised him that I was the Lodge's Secretary, NOT his! Secretaries who do it all (or try to) do a disservice to their Lodges.

Share My Freemasonry