Who writes the rules, and why does it matter?

Discussion in 'Building Fraternal Relations' started by R. Jacques Johnson, Dec 9, 2016.

1. R. Jacques Johnson

R. Jacques Johnson Registered User

After being a studious Mason for over 20 years. After contemplating the current state of Freemasonry in the world but more specifically in America. And finally, after much prayer and thought I have come to a question that I think deserves some discussion.

1. Who writes the rules, and why does it matter?

The reason this is a two part question is because we have a two part history in this country. We in Freemasonry are still struggling with race relations as the nation also struggles with it. The things that we as individuals have the least control over are still the things that have the most control over us. For example, to be a man, free born of good repute and well recommended are all factors out of the individuals control. Who amongst us prior to being conceived stood in the line that said male? What person has control over who his parents are whether they are kings or slaves? Again there was no line, if so everyone would be in the king's line regardless of the length. The issue of being of good repute is actually a subjective opinion as proven by this years Presidential election.

I understand that the freeborn men, that believed they were of repute, formed this organization over three centuries ago established this system and all others that came after chose to subscribe to its precepts and principles. Ergo the second part of the question, Why does it matter?

I have seen gross misinterpretations of the landmarks, constitution & by laws that were adopted by several different Grand Lodges over the past two decades. Ironically, the same things we condemn other Grand Lodges for being Clandestine for is exactly how our Grand Lodge was established both in England and in America. Yet, this line in the sand keeps moving so if the rules can be changed to benefit whomever is in power at the time. Why does it matter?

I have my opinion, I would like to hear yours.

2. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

>Who writes the rules, and why does it matter?

If Freemasonry is a human institution then it can be anything that the members want - including being nothing.

If Freemasonry is supposed to reflect the will of the GAOTU then it should try a lot harder. Brotherly love is a bit shaky. Relief is not too bad. Truth is hard to find. And who is to say that those principles reflect the fullness of the intent of the GAOTU?

>same things we condemn other Grand Lodges for being Clandestine for is exactly how our Grand Lodge was established

In Australia we talk about regular (as set down by UGLE) and irregular. Clandestine is not a local concept.

And being in Scottish lodges I have little regard for UGLE views of regularity and their recognition system.

For me it is a matter of whether the GAOTU deems the lodge to be regular. And this can be tested and subjected to peer review by the use of what is veiled by the plumbline.

Kenneth NC Mason, dfreybur and Bloke like this.
  3. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

4. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

>James ur in Austraila?

I am indeed.

dfreybur likes this.
  5. MRichard

MRichard Mark A. Ri'chard Premium Member

Which grand lodge? There are 7 recognized in that area from UGLE website. Trying to figure out this guy's grand lodge is like trying to figure out who shot JR (Dallas TV series)?

RECOGNISED GRAND LODGES IN AUSTRALASIA
    United Grand Lodge of New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory
    Grand Lodge of New Zealand

Grand Lodge of Queensland
    Grand Lodge of South Australia and the Northern Territory
    Grand Lodge of Tasmania
    United Grand Lodge of Victoria
    Grand Lodge of Western Australia

Glen Cook likes this.
  6. Ripcord22A

That doesnt matter. This threads not about that...i will say this though....b4 now hes never mentioned even what area hes from...i take the fact that he has now told us at least what country hes from as an honor as my understanding from him is he normally doesn't even do that....so for that Thank you @JamestheJust!

Sent from my LG-H811 using My Freemasonry mobile app

7. Ripcord22A

Now for the original post....who writes the rules doesnt matter...what matters is that when we took an obligation we promised to follow the rules set down by our respective GLs...emd of story

Sent from my LG-H811 using My Freemasonry mobile app

Warrior1256 and Elexir like this.
  8. MRichard

May not matter to you and that's fine. Not everyone may feel that way.

9. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

@MRichard There are nearly a hundred GLs in the states, not sure why only seven in a country as large as Australia is so overwhelming to you.

10. MRichard

You assume it's overwhelming. First mistake.

11. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

Given your example it was a logical assumption. And definitely not my first mistake.

Ripcord22A and Bill Lins like this.
  12. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

Who writes the rules in American Freemasonry? The grand lodge. Who writes the rules of the grand lodge? Depends on the grand lodge. Some are more autocratic, some more democratic, or perhaps populist in their governance. It is my sense that as you move West in CGMNA GLs, governance becomes more populist.

As to the recognition issue, whilst the CGMNA Commission makes recommendations to its member GLs, they are only that: recommendations. The GLs are sovereign.

Warrior1256 and Ripcord22A like this.
  13. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

The members.
    The members want to believe they are special.

BTW - the definition of Freeborn that you operate upon is the current bastardization that has been circulating ever since the first ignoramus tried to explain it. It has nothing to do with slavery and everything to do with being "able of birth", which in current slang means "not an idiot with all limbs working".

Warrior1256, Zack and Ripcord22A like this.
  14. Travelling Man91

Travelling Man91 Registered User

If this is the masonic definition of "free born" explain why many southern GL use this to keep people of color out ?

15. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

The terms, "Freeborn", "Free-born" and "Free Born", being wrongfully defined as having to do with "Slavery" is not any "Masonic" definition at all. It is a definition though that many "Freemasons" and "Freemasonic Organizations" wrongfully and blatantly use.

Forgive me. Your question threw me. What part of "ignoramus" did you not understand?

Keep in mind, if it were about "slavery", there are a host of other nationalities, "colors" and cultures that have slavery in their past. Those of "darker" African descent are not alone in this. In fact, if historic records are true in this, they are late comers to the scene in the USA.

Ripcord22A likes this.
  16. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

The weakness of this position, for those that use it, is that slavery is illegal in America today and there are very few slaves in America, and they are likely not petitioning. If the claim is then made that an ancestor suffered this status, it contradicts the plain meeting which concentrates on the individual and his/her birth status.

Further, there is a substantial chance that many of us are descended from someone who was a slave, even if under the Romans.

I don't really hear people make this claim anymore. Rather, the current facile response seems to be that only one Grand Lodge may occupy a jurisdiction, ignoring the many jurisdictions where this occurs.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  17. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Sounds good to me.

Share My Freemasonry