Why do we hold stated meetings on the MM degree only?

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by CLewey44, Jan 9, 2019.

1. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

Because there are so few contested votes this rarely comes up for hand votes just for ballots. If an EA or FC renders a hand vote and the vote comes out unanimous, as it often does, no one cares.

Bill Lins likes this.
  2. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

And I'd like to see Blue Lodges actually providing Masonic Education that makes good men better rather than Freemasonic Training that makes compliant members.

But I ain't gonna hold my breath waiting for it to occur.

3. Keith C

Keith C Registered User

Indeed. We almost never actually ballot on candidates and can vote on petitions when opened in the EA degree. We always have a mentor sitting with the EAs or FCs to make sure they know they can't vote. Elections and Installation of Officers must be done in the MM Degree, with the exception of the option to do an open installation.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  4. Bill Lins

Bill Lins Moderating Staff Staff Member

That's exactly how it was. After I became a MM & sat through a few stated meetings, I understood why my instructor would sit outside with me & go over my work- he didn't want to be bored either!

5. Bro. Stewart P.M.

Bro. Stewart P.M. Lead Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

This was much my opinion as well. So much so, I conducted all the stated meetings my year in the East within the Masters Degree.

I also agree that the change has not done much in the way of increasing retention.

Bill Lins likes this.
  6. Bro. Stewart P.M.

Exactly. Quality one on one study time with a mentor.

Plus the social portion of the meal and conversation before the start of the meeting.

Bill Lins, Warrior1256 and CLewey44 like this.
  7. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Exactly. This is a big part of the experience.

Bro. Stewart P.M. and Bill Lins like this.
  8. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

My Mother GL changed to “Master’s choice” quite a while back. Depending on presentations, discussions, and visitors a lodge may open in any of the three.
    My other two jurisdictions open on the First.

9. Bro. Stewart P.M.

That is much the same in Texas, being the Master’s choice and depending upon the work, degree, or visitors.

Share My Freemasonry