Why is Freemasonry a Ritual Practice?

Discussion in 'Masonic Blogs' started by My Freemasonry, Aug 5, 2017.

1. What makes something a “ritual?” Is it an evil connotation? Is it something sinister? Why then is Freemasonry considered a ritual practice? How could something so full of moral virtues practice something ritualistic?

The use of the word ritual is described as the regular practice of the same series of ceremonies at each meeting.

Often there is a connotation of something sinister or counter to popular practice by the use of the term ritual.

To the contrary, it is instead meant to imply that the degree ritu- als are an established or prescribed practice to convey the knowledge and symbolism of the Fraternity in a repetition to impart their teachings.

What this means is that the same ritual ceremony is practiced with each candidate to induct him into the fraternity so that each man undergoes the same experience creating a unifying shared experience. That practice imparts the three principal tenets of the fraternity which are Brotherly Love, Relief, and Truth.

More in the series:

What is Freemasonry? – Part 1: What is a Freemason?
    What is Freemasonry? – Part 2: How Old is Freemasonry?
    What is Freemasonry? – Part 3: Why are Freemason’s Secretive?
    What is Freemasonry? – Part 4: Is Freemasonry a Patriotic Body?
    What is Freemasonry? – Part 5: Why Brotherly Love, Relief and Truth?

From the ebook: What is Freemasonry?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Continue reading...

2. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

I once presented a paper on "The Elements of Ritual" comparing numerous events in a human life. Dressing for lodge, getting ready for work, making coffee, romancing risotto, these are all rituals. The only thing sinister is people's inability to understand the meaning of a word.

3. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Hadn't thought of it this way before but you're right!

4. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

Had to look that up....lol

Sent from my LG-H918 using My Freemasonry mobile app

5. Stephen Praye

Stephen Praye Registered User

You are right brother; things that we are addicted to and becomes are daily norms are rituals. It's like we're cannot do without it like you romancing risotto....lol

Derek Harvey likes this.
  6. Ripcord22A

Are you a FreeMason? If you are not it is misleading and disrespectul to call those of us that are "Brother." I call(ed) lots of my close friends brother before and after I became a Freemason, but never on a platform like this.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  7. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

Point to Note: We do not share the same experience(s). We are subjected to commonly portrayed sequences of events dictated by similar scripts. Our experiences are our own and subjective.

8. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

True.

9. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

He wrote "brother" not "Brother". There is a difference.

10. Ripcord22A

True

Share My Freemasonry