My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Join Scottish Rite?

Dow Mathis

Premium Member
Brethren,

I was raised back in May, and am having a great time learning more and more about this great fraternity. However, I've got a question. What are the reasons for joining Scottish Rite? Are there reasons NOT to join? Now, don't get me wrong. I've got absolutely nothing against it, I just don't know enough about it, and I thought this question might help. Now my dad was 32° as was my great uncle. I've got the ring that both men wore, and although it's pretty worn, I'd like to get it rebuilt and wear it myself some time. However, before I can do that, I really need to know why. I guess that I've gotten to the time in my life when I need a better reason than, "Because Daddy and Uncle Emmett did." Does this make any sense?

Nate Riley

Premium Member
First of all, I wouldn't get the ring rebuilt. Just wear it worn, so that when people ask you about it, you will have an awesome story to tell. That's just me.

I tell all new Masters that I have a chance to, to wait one year before joining appendent bodies. And during that time focus on the Blue lodge. There is a good chance that Kendall Lodge needs a brother strong in the ritual for degrees. My focus was to learn the Sr. Deacon role in each degree, because I enjoyed it.

I am York Rite, Scottish Rite and Shrine. I very much enjoy them all and would encourage you to pursue any one of the them that fits your interest.

However, as opposed to being able to tell you about being a 32 or Knights Templar, I would rather be able to tell you that, when it comes to degrees, I can do whatever my lodge needs for me to do, from handing out a coin to conferring the degree.

Jacob Johnson

I joined the SR because I wanted more light in Masonry. It delivered, in droves. There's a much stronger emphasis on education and scholarship in the SR than in most blue lodges, IMO.

The only reasons I can think of NOT to join the SR are if you a) don't like looking for deeper meaning in the work at all, or b) if your CT would prevent you being active. Just like anything else worthwhile in life, there is a direct correlation between what you put in and what you get out of it.

I agree with the brother above, though, that you should probably wait a year before you join any appendant bodies. Do some research on your own, figure out what it is that you want out of an appendant body, and then make your decision.

Dow Mathis

Premium Member
Thanks, Nate. After starting this thread, I got to thinking that my question might be premature. Certainly there's more to learn in blue lodge than I can possibly cover in a year, or probably many years. I was just trying to get at the reason why a man would join the Scottish Rite or any of the appendant bodies for that matter. I mean, we are taught that there there is nothing greater than that of Master Mason, but then I look at Scottish Rite with it's 4th through 32nd degrees, and York Rite with all of its degrees, and everybody seems to be in such a hurry do one or the other or both.

As to the ring. It's literally about to fall apart. If it's to be worn at all, then it will need some serious work. The band is dangerously thin on the back, and the ornamentation is just about gone. After my dad passed away, my mother had the diamonds removed and put in another ring, which she recently gave me as well, so I could have them put back in. Anyway, I'm not sure what I'll do with it. Your advice is good and it does make for a good story, though.

Thanks again,
dow

Kenneth Lottman

Brother I myself was just recently raised back a few months ago as well and have a great uncle that is giving me his 32 degree ring when that time comes and was all ready to get into SR but I thought good and hard about it and decided to wait.

The reasons I gave was I wanted to give all I could to the blue lodge and support other brothers coming into our great brotherhood. Learn the floor work and go through the chairs.

I don't know about you and your personal life but what I can tell you about mine is I'm 31 have a Wife, a 4 yr old Daughter and a full time job and those first two come before anything else and quite frankly I just don't have the time right now to do SR or YR.

Brother remember the oath that you took and be patient you have plenty of time to join SR. Learn and have fun in blue lodge contribute to your local lodge as much as possible this is where it all starts and remember there is no greater degree than being a 3rd degree master mason.

In the long run you will see that it will be one of the best decision you will make in your journey!

Best of luck brother!