My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Not part of Craft Lodge?

NY.Light

Disclaimer: I am not yet a mason, but as soon as I become old enough in my jurisdiction (only two years away) I plan to.

I have heard that the degrees in the York Rite complete the story of the Hiramic legend found in the craft lodge, whereby the true master's word is imparted. If this is the case, why are the York Rite degrees organized as an Appendant body and not attached to the craft lodge? Further, I have also heard that it was in the past and still is the norm in England for masons, after being raised, to petition for the English York Rite equivalent. I guess this isn't really a second question, more of an inquiry to elaborate on the above.

dfreybur

Premium Member
More than one appendent body claim to complete the story. Simply put, the story IS complete as depicted in the three degrees at the craft lodge level. What they depict is more, further. They offer competing sequels not the rest of an incomplete movie.

In spite of the name, the York Rite is American not English. Rather like in spite of the name the Scottish Rite is French not Scottish.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
UGLE Masons are "encouraged" to join the Holy Royal Arch, and members wear their breast jewels to Craft Lodge meetings. Unlike the US, the Holy Royal Arch is not part of any rite or conglomeration of degrees. It is a logical epilogue to the Third.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
UGLE Masons are "encouraged" to join the Holy Royal Arch, and members wear their breast jewels to Craft Lodge meetings. Unlike the US, the Holy Royal Arch is not part of any rite or conglomeration of degrees. It is a logical epilogue to the Third.
This is what I have been total by lodge brothers. They say even if I'm not interested in the entire YR I should do the Royal Arch.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I completely agree, though here it's a series of degrees. In England, Mark Lodges are separate entities.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry