My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why not seek light and have fun?

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
Nobody wants to hear "Well the craft is all we need" or "Freemasonry isn't about entertainment" because that's crap. The Lodge should not only be a place of learning, but one of fun. Why couldn't your Lodge facility serve as a meeting place or hangout between Lodge meetings? Would you attend a Super Bowl party if it was held at your Lodge? I would! Why not host a game night where families could come to the Lodge with their game of choice? Maybe you could host a Monday night football party, I'd be there! You could also invite Brothers from other Lodges to participate in the fun. Let's have a good time and breathe new life into those old stuffy buildings. Just my crappy .02..lol

Last edited:

Wingnut

Premium Member
One of the lodges I belong to has a pool table from the late 1800's. When I was training 2 great brothers we often did our learning while shooting pool. I might add that many many brothers over the years have learned thier work over a game of 9ball.

When I started teaching the LIFE classes, after our classes we would sit around and shoot pool. We started getting quite a few brothers to come up to play.

Hippie19950

Premium Member
This is something I have been talking to other Brothers about. We have an old pool table, and a few of the old dominoe tables too. I mentioned getting a nice TV for the Lodge, and if someone had one of the multi-receiver packages for their satellite, we could hook that up, and maybe take turns paying the brother for the "use" or something of that nature. I've been told by a few of the older Brothers they used to do it that way, and as mentioned, there was some teaching done as well. I don't go out much anymore, but would make a weekly
Guys Night Out" if we had one. I'm working on it, to help get some more attendance, interest, and maybe a new member or two...

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Amen to all of the above. We've had "NASCAR Nights", football Bowl game nights, etc. at a local restaurant (coincidentially owned by Bro. LRG!) and had good attendance & fellowship. We also have 2 practice nights a week (Tuesdays @ Wharton & Thursdays @ El Campo) and we make a particular effort to make these activities fun & enjoyable for the attendees. Who says Masonry can't be fun?

C_Cabra

I've seen this in lodges I have visited in other states but never in a Texas Lodge. I think people sitting around playing cards or dominos while working or watching football games on Friday nights would be great. I visited a nice old Lodge in Virginia that had a gigantic big screen TV in the main area with football playing up until the meal started. Nice Lazy boys and couches around it...

JBD

Premium Member
One of the benefits of being in the Masonic Temple in Fort Worth is we, as a lodge, do not have to do all the maintenance, repair, lawn mowing and other things that go with a stand alone building. It allows more time for other activities.

The negative is that you share the building with numerous other bodies; the building is rented out for weddings and other activities and there is a library and museum open to the public. This tends to prevent a single lodge from "customizing" and adding things.

Fortunately in Fort Worth there are numerous other venues and Lodges. The Moslah Shrine has "games night" once a month or so. It is held at the Director's building on Samuels Ave. This is a great time and a great way to recruit - AND the Shrine pays for all of it!

Bottom line we have some trade-offs with the big building but there are other ways to get together.

Robert Marshall

Secretary, Waco 92
Premium Member
Sadly, it seems to be a somewhat common notion held by many, Masons and non-Masons, that the Blue Lodge is business and the Shrine is where you go if you want to have fun. I'm not knocking the Shrine by any means, but how can we learn, study, and discover Masonry if it's all knuckle-breaking business. I'm all for taking the work seriously, and I cringe at the thought of any Brother who doesn't, but Yin and Yang. We find ourselves discussing the lack of Masonic participation across the country, yet so many of the same people advocate keeping the Blue Lodge all business and saving fun for the Shrine. HOGWASH!

RedTemplar

Johnny Joe Combs
Premium Member
You brothers have inspired me. At the next lodge meeting, a motion will be made for the lodge to purchase a projector and a laptop. I believe the lodge will accept this proposal if I can do a good job in selling it:

1. Laptop and projector would be useful in masonic education programs.
2. Projector could serve as Big Screen for movies, Ballgames, and NASCAR.

Brothers, what are some other possibilities these items would be an asset to the lodge?

The Grand Lodge of Ky has lowered the age requirement to 18. Our lodge will be conferring the Master Mason Degree on 5 candidates on Aug 22. All of which are under age 30. Masonry has not changed, nor should it. I also realize, however, that the young mason of today will not stay interested in my Grandpa's lodge. I intend to do everything in my power to see that my lodge is available for my Grandson.