My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wm=pm?

jwardl

It is my understanding that upon becoming a Worshipful Master in Texas, one simultaneously becomes a Past Master.

Can anyone confirm if this is so (several highly-placed brothers assure me that it is), and if so, how and why?

NOTE: Weird, the board software "corrected" the capitalization in the subject... I typed it as all caps.

Papatom

Premium Member
Premium Member
It is my understanding that upon becoming a Worshipful Master in Texas, one simultaneously becomes a Past Master.

Can anyone confirm if this is so (several highly-placed brothers assure me that it is), and if so, how and why?

NOTE: Weird, the board software "corrected" the capitalization in the subject... I typed it as all caps.

What happens if expelled?

RedTemplar

Johnny Joe Combs
Premium Member
In Kentucky, an installed Master of a lodge is eligible to receive "The Order of Solomon" most commonly known as the Past Master Degree.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
Um, not sure about them becoming a PM at the same time as they are the current master? Duriing GL a PM get a vote of a different color and a sitting WM cannot get a PM voting ballet they vote with the Lodge ballot as they are the lodge rep at GL. I do not believe a WM is an offical member at GL although they can talk to the body it is on behalf of his lodge and he should be speaking out the lodges will. This is for TX as best I can decypher.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
"Art. 277. (315). Office Vacant: When and How Filled. His office becomes vacant whenever the Worshipful Master:

1. Is elected and installed as Grand Master or Deputy Grand Master; or
2. Dies after he is installed; or
3. Is found disqualified, or fails from any cause to be installed within the time prescribed by Law, and the person filling the office
for the previous year has been installed in another office; or
4. When the Worshipful Master has been removed by the Grand Master or the Grand Lodge, the Grand Master shall notify
the Grand Secretary, and shall inform the affected subordinate Lodge of such action. Such action of removal shall prohibit recognition
of such individual as a Past Master and preclude such individual from the rights and privileges pertaining thereto.
(Revised 1997)

In any such case the Senior Warden (or the Junior Warden, if the office of Senior Warden is also vacant) shall succeed to all the
duties of the office.

If a Worshipful Master, after being duly installed, dies during the term of his office, and if he is not suspended or under charges
at the time of his death, he shall be classified and recorded as a Past Master of his Lodge."

Short answer: A WM must either serve his full term without being either suspended or under charges or must die in office
without being either suspended or under charges in order to earn the status of Past Master. He does not "simultaneously become a Past Master upon becoming a Worshipful Master in Texas."

Last edited: