My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would you purchase a Texas Freemason License Plate?

Would you buy a Masonic license plate for $30?

• Yes

Votes: 202 92.7%
  • No

Votes: 16 7.3%

• Total voters

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
Brethren, how many of you would jump at the chance to purchase a Masonic license plate? I've heard this issue was looked at a few years ago but was deemed too costly. Fortunately there have been numerous changes to the costs and requirements.

Here's a list of other organizations who offer vanity license plates:

http://rts.texasonline.state.tx.us/NASApp/txdotrts/SpecialPlateOrderServlet?grpid=60

You have the option to purchase a Lions, Knights of Columbus, Texas Realtors, YMCA, Insure Kids, Girl Scouts and Fight Terrorism vanity licenses plates but not a Masonic one.

Cost: $8000, fully refundable.

I may be mistaken, but the last time GL looked into plates, it was $20k+

"Under Texas law, once 1,900 plates are sold or renewed, the deposit is returned to the organization. The $8,000 deposit is used to offset the initial costs to produce, sell and distribute the plate. (Deposit and plate sale minimums were lowered by the Legislature effective September 2007 to reflect lowered production costs.)"

Although this sounds a bit high, the Grand Lodge of Texas would get every penny back once 1900 plates are sold.

The Application
http://www.dot.state.tx.us/txdoteforms/GetForm?formName=/VTR-950.pdf&preference=PDFForm&appID=/vtr/specialty%20plates&fileID=1233334&status=/reportError.jsp&configFile=WFServletConfig.xml

Official TXDot FAQ Website:
http://www.dot.state.tx.us/drivers_vehicles/license_plates/specialty_faqs.htm

You know you want one.
palte.jpg

Last edited:

js4253

Premium Member
Premium Member
I wonder if this is something that would have to be voted on at Grand Lodge? I do think it is a good idea Blake.

nick1368

Bro. Blake I am glad you put this back up. I have been in contact with GL to see what needs to be done to get this approved. I will keep you posted as to what progress I make or don't make.

Joey

Co-Founder
Staff Member
Hmm..... How about this one :D

Attachments

• Masonic LP 2.jpg
    Masonic LP 2.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 872

Smokey613

I already run "vanity" plates on my vehicles. I would love to have a Masonic license plate. I always wondered why there was not one. Surely we can do this if all those other organizations can. Afterall, I think we probably have more than enough members. :)

Last edited:

Hippie19950

Premium Member
For Amateur (Ham) Radio, you must show a copy of your current FCC issued license. With Ham Radio, your license can be easily confirmed online, but I think the use of the dues card, or a letter of some sort from your Lodge, or Grand Lodge might be useful as well. I'm for it.

webstermason

Word from Grand Lodge

I'd sent an e-mail to GL a year or two ago asking about this, and their response was that they had tried before but it was cost prohibitive, and they weren't sure how many brothers would be on board with it at that time.

nick1368

well it seems then need to conduct some type of survey to see if it would be cost prohibiative or if GL could benefit from it. It would be a great way to raise money for the preservation of the GL and Masonary in TX.

Joey

Co-Founder
Staff Member
Guys, there is really no cost to Grand Lodge at all..... All the State requires is a deposit. After the required number of plates has been sold you get the entire deposit refunded. It's a win-win situation.