Would you purchase a Texas Freemason License Plate?

Discussion in 'The Voting Booth' started by Blake Bowden, Dec 7, 2008.

?

Would you buy a Masonic license plate for $30?

1. Yes

202 vote(s)
    92.7%
  2. No

16 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. Blake Bowden

Blake Bowden Administrator Staff Member

Brethren, how many of you would jump at the chance to purchase a Masonic license plate? I've heard this issue was looked at a few years ago but was deemed too costly. Fortunately there have been numerous changes to the costs and requirements.

Here's a list of other organizations who offer vanity license plates:

http://rts.texasonline.state.tx.us/NASApp/txdotrts/SpecialPlateOrderServlet?grpid=60

You have the option to purchase a Lions, Knights of Columbus, Texas Realtors, YMCA, Insure Kids, Girl Scouts and Fight Terrorism vanity licenses plates but not a Masonic one.

Cost: $8000, fully refundable.

I may be mistaken, but the last time GL looked into plates, it was $20k+

"Under Texas law, once 1,900 plates are sold or renewed, the deposit is returned to the organization. The $8,000 deposit is used to offset the initial costs to produce, sell and distribute the plate. (Deposit and plate sale minimums were lowered by the Legislature effective September 2007 to reflect lowered production costs.)"

Although this sounds a bit high, the Grand Lodge of Texas would get every penny back once 1900 plates are sold.

The Application
    http://www.dot.state.tx.us/txdoteforms/GetForm?formName=/VTR-950.pdf&preference=PDFForm&appID=/vtr/specialty%20plates&fileID=1233334&status=/reportError.jsp&configFile=WFServletConfig.xml

Official TXDot FAQ Website:
    http://www.dot.state.tx.us/drivers_vehicles/license_plates/specialty_faqs.htm

You know you want one.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  2. jonesvilletexas

jonesvilletexas Premium Member

This would be great for our order and the state of Texas.

3. js4253

js4253 Premium Member Premium Member

I wonder if this is something that would have to be voted on at Grand Lodge? I do think it is a good idea Blake.

4. nick1368

nick1368 Registered User

Bro. Blake I am glad you put this back up. I have been in contact with GL to see what needs to be done to get this approved. I will keep you posted as to what progress I make or don't make.

5. Bro Mike

Bro Mike Registered User

My car and truck would each wear a set!

6. JTM

JTM "Just in case" Premium Member

that would be awesome.

7. Joey

Joey Co-Founder Staff Member

Hmm..... How about this one :D

Attached Files:

8. cmoreno85tx

cmoreno85tx Registered User

I like it Brother Joey

9. xxxxxxl

xxxxxxl Registered User

I would definitely order a set!

10. webstermason

webstermason Registered User

11. Smokey613

Smokey613 Registered User

I already run "vanity" plates on my vehicles. I would love to have a Masonic license plate. I always wondered why there was not one. Surely we can do this if all those other organizations can. Afterall, I think we probably have more than enough members. :)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  12. cale

cale Registered User

Where do I send my $30.00 It is a great idea, how can we get it going?

13. Bro. Stewart P.M.

Bro. Stewart P.M. Lead Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

I'm all for it.

All I need to know is where to send my money!

14. Blake Bowden

Blake Bowden Administrator Staff Member

Bumpin this thread back up.

15. Hippie19950

Hippie19950 Premium Member

For Amateur (Ham) Radio, you must show a copy of your current FCC issued license. With Ham Radio, your license can be easily confirmed online, but I think the use of the dues card, or a letter of some sort from your Lodge, or Grand Lodge might be useful as well. I'm for it.

16. HoustonNick

HoustonNick Registered User

I would definitely order one

17. nick1368

nick1368 Registered User

Does anyone know if there is anyone working on this so it can be brought up at GL in Dec?

18. webstermason

webstermason Registered User

Word from Grand Lodge

I'd sent an e-mail to GL a year or two ago asking about this, and their response was that they had tried before but it was cost prohibitive, and they weren't sure how many brothers would be on board with it at that time.

19. nick1368

nick1368 Registered User

well it seems then need to conduct some type of survey to see if it would be cost prohibiative or if GL could benefit from it. It would be a great way to raise money for the preservation of the GL and Masonary in TX.

20. Joey

Joey Co-Founder Staff Member

Guys, there is really no cost to Grand Lodge at all..... All the State requires is a deposit. After the required number of plates has been sold you get the entire deposit refunded. It's a win-win situation.

Share My Freemasonry