My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would you purchase a Texas Freemason License Plate?

Would you buy a Masonic license plate for $30?

• Yes

Votes: 202 92.7%
  • No

Votes: 16 7.3%

• Total voters

owls84

Premium Member
Re: Texas Freemason License Plate-Revisited

See How is this advertising? I can't understand this. All you are doing is peaking the intrest. This is no different than a S&C on the car. As far as it being sold then it is no different then someone selling merchandise with a S&C on it. And if I am not Mistaken ANY Master Mason is entiled to use the S&C unless it is for personal, political, or business gain. That is why the Copyright office ruled that no trademark be placed on it.

Covered by Article 505 (pgs 197 - 204) This is in the GLofTX Laws of coarse.

cemab4y

Premium Member

The Masonic Square and Compasses logo is NOT trademarked nor copyrighted. It is "public domain", and any person, organization, or other entity may use the logo for any purpose they see fit. Some years ago, there was a flour mill in Nebraska that used the square and compasses on their flour bags. A court case followed, and the ruling was that the flour mill did not have to pay any royalties or fees.

About 35 states have a Masonic square and compasses license plate. Virginia has about 12 different plates, Eastern Star, York Rite, Prince Hall, Shrine, etc. Alabama is trying to get a plate, but so far, they have not been able to secure the minimum number of masons willing to pre-order the plates. Florida has been pushing for a Masonic plate for some years, but the approval is being held up at their state Department of Motor Vehicles.

Wingnut

Premium Member

see Art 505 (3) and (4) for the details. just for trivial facts:

In Hammer v State, 173 Indiana, 199 (1909), the Supreme Court ruled that it was a criminal offense to wear the emblem of any society or organization of which one is not a member. The court based its decision on the fact that the membership in such societies is the result of fitness and selection and that the wearing of such emblems by non-members is a deceit and false pretense.

The Commissioner of Patents In 1872 ruled that the Masonic Square and Compasses emblem could not be used in any trademark or trade name for commercial purposes.

js4253

Premium Member
Premium Member

I've talked to a handful of Grand Lodge Officers, and they're very supportive of the idea. This past January, Brother "jwardl" mentioned that he may take up the cause. All it takes is a bit of research (which you can find here), a Past Master who will sponsor legislation and that's it. I don't know how the GL would appoint a committee to design or see this through, but there are many Brothers out there who would be eager to help.

Blake,
Has the proper paper work been submitted to sponsor the legislation at Grand Lodge in December? If not we need to get all documents submitted for next year.

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member

Blake,
Has the proper paper work been submitted to sponsor the legislation at Grand Lodge in December? If not we need to get all documents submitted for next year.

I'm not sure.

JBD

Premium Member

Lets keep looking for a design. The first one doesn't do it for me, the second one is just GM Griffin's insignia. If we are going to use that style, lets use the whole deal.
Someone with more time and better skills can probably find the MASONRY - A TEXAS TRADITION circular pic.

I would probably buy them - if it was sized and looked right

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member

So, which of you Brothers submitted a resolution to get this thing started? lol

Joey

Co-Founder
Staff Member

As I read it.... You have to either be a seated Worshipful Master or be a Past Master at the time you submit the resolution to Grand Lodge for consideration. Unfortunatly, at the time I was not.... However, I can assure you that if nothing is done before next December I will submit a resolution.

dhouseholder

As I read it.... You have to either be a seated Worshipful Master or be a Past Master at the time you submit the resolution to Grand Lodge for consideration. Unfortunatly, at the time I was not.... However, I can assure you that if nothing is done before next December I will submit a resolution.
Well, then maybe a WM or PM perusing the site might be help?:D

As a side note, would it be possible to do this ourselves or is that bad idea? So far we have like 85 people "just talking"; maybe Blake could start collecting the apparently refundable $9000, to be refunded when either
A) The money is refunded from TXDoT or....
B) maybe a set amount of years we deem it "not going to happen"

Last edited:

RedTemplar

Johnny Joe Combs
Premium Member

GLoKy came out with masonic plates last year. The cost is $30. Before the plates were issued, petitions were circulated and brothers signed they would purchase them if they were made available. In a short time, enough signatures were received to convince the State to order them. To get the plates, you must show a current due card when you purchase. It should not be a problem in Texas as you have a lot more masons than Kentucky.

RedTemplar

Johnny Joe Combs
Premium Member

Lets keep looking for a design. The first one doesn't do it for me, the second one is just GM Griffin's insignia. If we are going to use that style, lets use the whole deal.
Someone with more time and better skills can probably find the MASONRY - A TEXAS TRADITION circular pic.

I would probably buy them - if it was sized and looked right

The Shrine Temples in KY done this. I don't think their plates have come out yet.

cemab4y

Premium Member

I am the individual, who got Masonic license plates in KY. I met with my state Senator, Dr. Nicholas Kafoglis, in Bowling Green, KY. I obtained a copy of the Masonic license plate legislation, that was used in New Jersey and Pennsylvania (for masonic license plates).

The senator just erased "new Jersey', and wrote in "Kentucky". I got the ball rolling in 1991, when I returned from Saudi Arabia. The legislation was introduced in the 1992 session in Frankfort. The legislation passed, and was signed into law.

License plates with the S&C, and the phrase "Masonic Order" were first made available in 1993. The cost (then) was $25, and the Grand Lodge of KY gets a $7 rebate on each tag.

I did this entirely on my own, without input or advice from the Grand Lodge of KY.

I would like to see the Scottish Rite (southern jurisdiction) craft a "model" legislative proposal, and work with the various Grand Lodges, who do not yet have a Masonic plate, to get the legislation passed in the remaining states.

Alabama and Florida, are trying to get the plates, but they are facing holdups and obstacles from their state governments.

RedTemplar

Johnny Joe Combs
Premium Member

I am the individual, who got Masonic license plates in KY. I met with my state Senator, Dr. Nicholas Kafoglis, in Bowling Green, KY. I obtained a copy of the Masonic license plate legislation, that was used in New Jersey and Pennsylvania (for masonic license plates).

The senator just erased "new Jersey', and wrote in "Kentucky". I got the ball rolling in 1991, when I returned from Saudi Arabia. The legislation was introduced in the 1992 session in Frankfort. The legislation passed, and was signed into law.

License plates with the S&C, and the phrase "Masonic Order" were first made available in 1993. The cost (then) was $25, and the Grand Lodge of KY gets a $7 rebate on each tag.

I did this entirely on my own, without input or advice from the Grand Lodge of KY.

I would like to see the Scottish Rite (southern jurisdiction) craft a "model" legislative proposal, and work with the various Grand Lodges, who do not yet have a Masonic plate, to get the legislation passed in the remaining states.

Alabama and Florida, are trying to get the plates, but they are facing holdups and obstacles from their state governments.

Brother, I am sorry I got confused some how with masonic plates and shrine plates. You are correct. Masonic plates have been out for years. Thanks for taking the initiative on this project. I do know a committee was formed for the Shrine plates because I signed the petition to get them made.

cemab4y

Premium Member

Apologies not needed, my brother. I am delighted to see that KY will get Shrine plates. I would like to see KY get Eastern Star, and other appendant bodies! Alabama has had a Shriner's tag for some years, but there is still no license plate for the Craft Lodge in Alabama.