My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your Mason Family Tree

scottmh59

How far back does masonry go in your family? Who was the first person in your family to become a mason,and in what year.Are the any generation gaps in your mason family tree?I know some people like brother rhit could fill up a phone book with the names of masons in his family.And it seems like every day he finds out he is related to a mason he didn't know about.And i wouldn't be surprised if he was related to some one on here.lol

But for me i am the first person in my immediate family to become a mason,and soon after i joined my dad came in.Other than us the only other mason i know of from my mom or dads side is my dads uncle who was a mason in kansas,but died in the early sixties.I am hopeful that in the future masonry will grow in my family.but for now it is just me and my dad..How about you?

TCShelton

Founding Member
Premium Member
I was the first that I knew of for quite a while. Recently found out that my dad's uncle and his grandfather were Masons, but both died before I was born.

Hippie19950

Premium Member
I'm still searching for family, mostly in Germany, but I guess I am really a second generation of sorts. My Father-in-law was a MM first by many years, and I came up last year. My oldest son talks about it, but wants to complete more college time, and make his next promotion in his F.D. before he tries. I felt the same way, but found out I could have made it all together...

scottmh59

very nice,and there is certainly no hurry for your son if he is talking about it. he will know when the time is right. a father son team is always very nice.my lodge has many,me and my dad,rhit and his,lester and his. father and son,and brothers at the same time,doesnt get any better

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
Let me figure this one out and I will post in a bit unless Sirius beats me to it who is my cousin on here!! lol :)

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
My Great-Grandfather was a Baptist Preacher and a Mason. Unfortunately he died a few months after I was born but my mother would always talk very highly of him. I had the pleasure of visiting his home Lodge last week and it was a wonderful experience. I looked at the altar where he knelt and the stations he must of passed by.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
This is what I have so far but I know I am leaving out a few.

Sonny Marchbanks cousin
Billy Moore Dad
Billy Ray Moore Grandad
James Marchbanks Granddad
Buddy Marchbanks Uncle
Phillip Marchbanks Uncle
Jake Thompkins Uncle
John Marchbanks Uncle
Oscar Elliott Grandpa-in-law
A.C. Marchbanks Sr. Grt Grandpa
Ralph Roebuck Grt Uncle
Roebuck " "
Roebuck " "
Roebuck " " all members of Nash Lodge justfound them a few weeks ago and cannot remember all of names
Hobie Cousin Sec. @ Southside and PolyTech Lodge
Lewis Marchbanks Cousin
Don Barnfield Cousin
Jan Harrison Grt Grt Grt Grt Grandpa and charter member of Nash Lodge 638
W.S. Marchbanks Grt Uncle
B.F. Marchbanks Grt Grt Grt Grandpa
Marchbanks Cousin Alvorado Lodge PM
Robert Wood Grt Uncle-in-law
Maybe Sam Levisse he is realted to Marchbanks from Waxahachie
Forgot my Brother Brother Rodney Moore we went through together.

Last edited:

Bro Mike

Impressive!

As for me, my father, grandfather and great grand father and a couple of my great uncles are/were Masons.

My dad wears a ring that belonged to my grandfather and I wear a ring that was worn by my great uncle.

scottmh59

This is what I have so far but I know I am leaving out a few.

Sonny Marchbanks cousin
Billy Moore Dad
Billy Ray Moore Grandad
James Marchbanks Granddad
Buddy Marchbanks Uncle
Phillip Marchbanks Uncle
Jake Thompkins Uncle
John Marchbanks Uncle
Oscar Elliott Grandpa-in-law
A.C. Marchbanks Sr. Grt Grandpa
Ralph Roebuck Grt Uncle
Roebuck " "
Roebuck " "
Roebuck " " all members of Nash Lodge justfound them a few weeks ago and cannot remember all of names
Hobie Cousin Sec. @ Southside and PolyTech Lodge
Lewis Marchbanks Cousin
Don Barnfield Cousin
Jan Harrison Grt Grt Grt Grt Grandpa and charter member of Nash Lodge 638
W.S. Marchbanks Grt Uncle
B.F. Marchbanks Grt Grt Grt Grandpa
Marchbanks Cousin Alvorado Lodge PM
Robert Wood Grt Uncle-in-law
Maybe Sam Levisse he is realted to Marchbanks from Waxahachie
Forgot my Brother Brother Rodney Moore we went through together.

like i said...a phone book..very cool to have such a rich tradition in your family of masons,and there still might be more out there you have not found yet rhit.

Texas_Justice85

To be quite honest, I am at the top of my Masonic Family Tree. check back in about 20 years for new additions :D

I am the first in my immediate bloodline but I have 2 cousins in it.

luftx

Premium Member
I am the 3rd generation Mason in my family, behind my Dad and Grandfather. And next month, I am going to have the pleasure of initiating my son (will be the first degree that I have ever done from the BIG chair - so keep your fingers crossed!), which will make him a 4th generation Mason. That will make us the second 4th generation Masonic family in our lodge.

Robert

scottmh59

thats great. that will be a night to remember for sure. my dad came in after me,and i did the sr. deacon for all his degrees and it was great. congrats to you and your son.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
I am the 3rd generation Mason in my family, behind my Dad and Grandfather. And next month, I am going to have the pleasure of initiating my son (will be the first degree that I have ever done from the BIG chair - so keep your fingers crossed!), which will make him a 4th generation Mason. That will make us the second 4th generation Masonic family in our lodge.

Robert

It just does not get any better than this. A Dad making himself better to make his Son better, God Bless the Craft!!!

luftx

Premium Member
I've been studying my tail off to make sure I have all of the 'language' right for his degree. He's so excited, and is constantly asking me questions. My dad is the lodge secretary and will do so during the degree. And the WM has allowed me to hand pick the degree team, and it's an all-star cast with the 'big' players from almost every lodge in the area. I've even managed to get on of the 33rd degree Mason's that we know to be the JW. All I have to do now, is to pray I don't get too nervous and screw it up!

Robert

Sirius

Ok, Rhit gave all of the recent family that I wont labor to repeat. However, it does appear that a chain of Masons from father to son begins with the arrival of the family in Virginia in the early 1700's. Before that the record is not so clear. However, Masonry does seem to have had a attracted my Scottish ancestors as their names are scattered about the history of the Grand Lodge of Scotland. One of which was an early chaplain at Killwinning No1, one of the oldest lodges in the world.