My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dark lodges

nixxon2000

Premium Member
Does your lodge have a period of time when they go dark?

What's the reason behind it?

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

Morris

Premium Member
A lot of people take their vacations in the summer when schools are out. Just my guess as to why

Jeff

MarkR

Premium Member
Yep, July and August. No air conditioning, and the lodge room gets unbelievably hot in the summer. Our June and September meetings are often pretty uncomfortable.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
Our Chapter and Council go dark in June, July, and August but Lodge and Commandery do not. I suppose it was set up that way to give folks a little bit of a break during the summer months when vacations are planned and people are doing outside yard/farm work, etc.

admarcus1

We go dark in July and August for because of vacations and school being out and such, but it is also a great time for planning. The new set of officers and committee chairs are known, the Master-elect is planning his year, etc. A lot of work gets done over the summer. For example, as food prices have risen, we have found that our current arrangement for dinners has become too expensive, so we are investigating alternatives and putting plans into place to reduce our costs without sacrificing quality (we love both food and fellowship, not necessarily in that order). I am finding it much easier to investigate our options without having to plan the meals for these two months. While the actual amount of time reclaimed by not having the stated communications is not that much, having this stretch of time to do the work by my own schedule makes a psychological difference.

In that time, we don't skimp on fellowship, however. We have our district picnic, our lodge picnic, Independence Day breakfast, summer blood drive, and other less formal events. The lodge may go dark, but we remain active.

Pete Ramboldt

Our Chapter, Council, and Commandery go dark in July and August but Lodge meets every 1st & 3rd Wwednesday year round. Our Shrine club also meets every 2nd Wednesday - year around.

MarkR

Premium Member
Yep, July and August. No air conditioning, and the lodge room gets unbelievably hot in the summer. Our June and September meetings are often pretty uncomfortable.
We had our last "pre-dark" communication tonight. It was quite uncomfortable in the Lodge room, and it hasn't really gotten hot yet.

rpbrown

Premium Member
We usually go dark from Christmas to New Years. The only time we shorten this is when New Years falls on the day of our stated meeting.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
We don't do any degree work in December, but we still have our stated meeting. That's when officers are elected (first Tuesday), and we have an open installation the following Sunday afternoon. If our stated meeting falls on Jan. 1, so be it. We still meet.