My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Journey

adc100

I became an apprentice Feb of 23. My BIL has been a 33rd for decades. He has hinted off and on. Finally he said-Al, "I will never say this again-you need to become a Mason"
I did and it changed my life. I am Librarian, Guide, and have been Junior Deacon and Tyler. Next month I will be Perseverant for One year. Of course I wish I had done it sooner. But I am a Master now and I am fulfilled!! So Much to learn.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
How old is your BIL?

”pursuivant.”

I know the difference because the other word is sometimes descriptive of me.

oh, and I drafted legislation that abolished the office in Utah.

Keith C

”pursuivant.”

I know the difference because the other word is sometimes descriptive of me.

oh, and I drafted legislation that abolished the office in Utah.
Indeed it is Pursuivant.

What were the duties of that office in Utah and why abolish it?

Here in PA (where OP is located) the Pursuivant is what other Jurisdictions may refer to as the "Inner Guard." They close the outer door and Tyel the Lodge at opening and are in charge of responding to alarms at the outer door and opening the door to let Brethren leave the Open Lodge.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Indeed it is Pursuivant.

What were the duties of that office in Utah and why abolish it?

Here in PA (where OP is located) the Pursuivant is what other Jurisdictions may refer to as the "Inner Guard." They close the outer door and Tyel the Lodge at opening and are in charge of responding to alarms at the outer door and opening the door to let Brethren leave the Open Lodge.
It was a grand lodge position only. The JGD would relay the GM’s Commands to the Psvt and he would walk the 20 steps to do tell the G Tyler. He would also help the G Marshal arrange visitors for introduction. The onerous duties occurred once a year. It seemed to have little use, and we si times do not fill all positions.

We amended the law to keep the officer number the same, but insert a different office. now have a Grand Chancellor who oversees foreign relations. This is useful.

MarkR

Premium Member
We still have a Grand Pursuivant in Minnesota. Sometimes, when GL is held in some hotel ballroom, the tyled door is so far away from the Junior Grand Deacon that he wouldn't be able to hear an alarm at the door. So the GP announces the alarm.

No need for one in Blue Lodge, however. The Junior Deacon attends to the tyled door and in just about every lodge I've been in, his position is just a few feet from the door.

Bloke

Premium Member
We have a Grand Pursuivant. He does the ceremonial role as described but also acts as an admin sec and organiser in the Team.