My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10 Things Done in 18th Century I Wish Were Done in 21st Century Freemasonry

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
Ran across this post the other day...your thoughts?

Speaking as an individual mason, subject to the usual caveats that this does not represent the official stance of any lodge, Grand Lodge, Concordant nor Appendant body of Freemasonry, I’d like to see these ten things return. I understand that some of the things on this list are simply not done in regular Freemasonry today in the United States, and I would not enact any of the unconstitutional items on the list before they became constitutional.

1. Met in taverns.

2. Put membership ceilings of 35, or 50, or 60 members of any particular lodge, with the understanding that if the lodge got too big, it would generate new lodges to accomodate new brethren.

3. Fined brethren for not attending a stated communication of their lodge (except in cases of sickness, absence from town, or urgent business), and fined officers more harshly than the brethren (with the Master and Wardens being fined about 150% more than the regular members). Prolonged absences without excuse, or refusal to pay fines would result in reprimand, suspension or expulsion.

4. Made degree candidates exemplify the degree catechisms after a thorough education in the meanings of the three degrees (I know some lodges still do this).

5. Gave Stewards liberty of the floor in order to refill the glasses, tankards, and pipes of the brethren.

6. Allowed for the tyler to be a profane, and paid the man for his service to the lodge.

7. Performed the Royal Arch degree in blue lodge, under the authority of the Grand Chapter of their particular jurisdiction.

8. Were well-represented in the local media, announcing individual stated communications in the newspaper, as well as processionals, church visits, banquets and lodges of table instruction, and Grand communications.

9. Voted after each degree to decide if the candidate was worthy of the next degree.

10. Had an officer, called an Almoner, to collect sufficient funds from the brethren of the lodge to liberally come to the relief of distressed brethren of the lodge, their widows and orphans. They would not consider giving any funds to any charities for profanes while their own brethren were in want. No mason could leave a stated communication without giving the Almoner money (this is still the case in Norway).

Bloke

Premium Member
1. Met in taverns.

We can and have. A masonic meeting in a proper lodge room is better - but following the last three meetings we've dined at the pub (one was our installation dinner with the WMGM, team and about 90 people including kids and partners.

2. Put membership ceilings of 35, or 50, or 60 members of any particular lodge, with the understanding that if the lodge got too big, it would generate new lodges to accomodate new brethren.

Not a fan. Lodges should be able to decide their own destiny, but any lodge over 50 is considered very large, but there is one which has over 100 which is very successful because their ladies drive the men to attend because of the lady's social program..

3. Fined brethren for not attending a stated communication of their lodge (except in cases of sickness, absence from town, or urgent business), and fined officers more harshly than the brethren (with the Master and Wardens being fined about 150% more than the regular members). Prolonged absences without excuse, or refusal to pay fines would result in reprimand, suspension or expulsion.

Maybe.. not sure how you would police it though... and people would be more likely to resign .. we sort of have this in place at some lodges where you pay up front for dinners for the year when paying dues - but that would add $385 to one lodge (plus installation cost) and $220 in the other (plus install) up front when paying dues.., but my lodges have adopted the unser pay system instead which is much better, because the price gets set in system where you rely on members not to turn up to get fed - a very bad model..

4. Made degree candidates exemplify the degree catechisms after a thorough education in the meanings of the three degrees (I know some lodges still do this).

Maybe.. we've got education requirements between degrees and part of being passed or raised is a Q&A... but I see where you are coming from.. when I joined, I would have been too busy to take much more on than I did...

5. Gave Stewards liberty of the floor in order to refill the glasses, tankards, and pipes of the brethren.

LOL.

6. Allowed for the tyler to be a profane, and paid the man for his service to the lodge.

Who prepared the candidate ? Who sits with EAs and FCs when the lodge is open and educates them about Freemasonry.. Against..

7. Performed the Royal Arch degree in blue lodge, under the authority of the Grand Chapter of their particular jurisdiction.

Go further, include Mark. We cannot do that, but there are lodges here holding warrants for Craft, Mark Chapter and RAM.. but they are becoming rarer and rarer..

8. Were well-represented in the local media, announcing individual stated communications in the newspaper, as well as processionals, church visits, banquets and lodges of table instruction, and Grand communications.

Sounds good.

9. Voted after each degree to decide if the candidate was worthy of the next degree.

Maybe, but rather than a subjective system open to favoritism better to have some KPIs... we have them in one lodge around attendance, visiting, charges, etc. not sure it is working super well and we are currently reviewing..

10. Had an officer, called an Almoner, to collect sufficient funds from the brethren of the lodge to liberally come to the relief of distressed brethren of the lodge, their widows and orphans. They would not consider giving any funds to any charities for profanes while their own brethren were in want. No mason could leave a stated communication without giving the Almoner money (this is still the case in Norway).

Almoner is an installed office here; both my lodges almoners are quite active.. we hold a raffle every meeting, there are lodges which just take up a collection (we did that in the pub) but the focus is always external charity rather than internal benevolence..

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Ran across this post the other day...your thoughts?

Speaking as an individual mason, subject to the usual caveats that this does not represent the official stance of any lodge, Grand Lodge, Concordant nor Appendant body of Freemasonry, I’d like to see these ten things return. I understand that some of the things on this list are simply not done in regular Freemasonry today in the United States, and I would not enact any of the unconstitutional items on the list before they became constitutional.

1. Met in taverns.

Source Please?

hanzosbm

Premium Member

Who prepared the candidate ? Who sits with EAs and FCs when the lodge is open and educates them about Freemasonry.. Against..

In both of my jurisdictions, the Tyler does not perform those duties, so I don't see this as being an issue. Not sure whether I am for or against it, but for these particular considerations, they are manageable.

Bloke

Premium Member
In both of my jurisdictions, the Tyler does not perform those duties, so I don't see this as being an issue. Not sure whether I am for or against it, but for these particular considerations, they are manageable.

Do you pay your Tyler's ? We generally do...

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member

Who prepared the candidate?
In my jurisdiction, the Master of Ceremonies prepares the candidate except for one duty, which is performed by the Senior Deacon.

Who sits with EAs and FCs when the lodge is open and educates them about Freemasonry?
His mentor/instructor. Tilers are (supposedly) to remain outside the door, even though they rarely are except during the opening & closing.

Bloke

Premium Member
In my jurisdiction, the Master of Ceremonies prepares the candidate except for one duty, which is performed by the Senior Deacon.

His mentor/instructor. Tilers are (supposedly) to remain outside the door, even though they rarely are except during the opening & closing.
Sorry, I was not clear, I was talking about when they are not in the lodge because the lodge is in a higher degree...

Tylers examine visitors, prepare candidates, serve as outer guard, generally herd visiting cats, and educate EAs and FCs when the lodge is in higher degrees. They also direct people to the appearance book, lay out the lodge (and pack up after) and collect supper money - and do the final toast of the night..

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Sorry, I was not clear, I was talking about when they are not in the lodge because the lodge is in a higher degree...

Tylers examine visitors, prepare candidates, serve as outer guard, generally herd visiting cats, and educate EAs and FCs when the lodge is in higher degrees. They also direct people to the appearance book, lay out the lodge (and pack up after) and collect supper money - and do the final toast of the night..
In our jurisdiction, tilers serve as what you call the "outer guard".

When our Lodges are in higher degrees, such as when receiving Grand Lodge officers, if there will be a portion of the meeting suitable for EAs and/or FCs to witness, the WM will open in the 3rd degree and call off to the appropriate degree at the appropriate time. EAs & FCs are to wait outside with the Tiler until allowed into the Lodgeroom.

If there is no part of the meeting suitable for them to attend, they will be informed to retire after the meal. If their instructor is present and is not needed in the meeting, he may, at his option, remain outside and educate the students at that time.

Back when I was a student, all our business was done in the 3rd degree. If my instructor was present (he held no office, therefore he usually was not needed in the meeting) he would remain outside with me while the Lodge was open and work with me.

Also, in our jurisdiction, preparation of candidates is primarily handled by the Master of Ceremonies, the Deacons welcome and examine visitors, and the Stewards collect the meal money.

Bloke

Premium Member
In our jurisdiction, tilers serve as what you call the "outer guard".

When our Lodges are in higher degrees, such as when receiving Grand Lodge officers, if there will be a portion of the meeting suitable for EAs and/or FCs to witness, the WM will open in the 3rd degree and call off to the appropriate degree at the appropriate time. EAs & FCs are to wait outside with the Tiler until allowed into the Lodgeroom.

If there is no part of the meeting suitable for them to attend, they will be informed to retire after the meal. If their instructor is present and is not needed in the meeting, he may, at his option, remain outside and educate the students at that time.

Back when I was a student, all our business was done in the 3rd degree. If my instructor was present (he held no office, therefore he usually was not needed in the meeting) he would remain outside with me while the Lodge was open and work with me.

Also, in our jurisdiction, preparation of candidates is primarily handled by the Master of Ceremonies, the Deacons welcome and examine visitors, and the Stewards collect the meal money.

In another current thread, bros are comparing the jobs of stewards, marshal, deacons etc etc.... Ours roles are quite different.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
VERY interesting post as I am into the history of The Craft. I was aware of some of these things but not all. Numbers 3 and 10 especially caught my eye.

Bloke

Premium Member
VERY interesting post as I am into the history of The Craft. I was aware of some of these things but not all. Numbers 3 and 10 especially caught my eye.
Re No 10 - ever heard or do you have the Order of the Secret Monitor ? Bring its ideas of visiting deacons into your Craft lodge.

Bloke

Premium Member
Good question; AMD is invitation only and Chapters are limited to twenty-seven members. You must be a Royal Arch Mason to be invited.
That's all a bit tricky then... but you don't need to be a member of an organization to benefit from its ideas ( Google the Rotary an four way test for instance)...

Warrior, the essential idea is between meetings, every member needs to be contacted and their welfare inquired upon. The OSM has a structure to do that, but so do our Craft lodges due to having an Almoner.... contacting and visiting brethren between meetings is really powerful... We're not perfect at it, but it transforms a lodge. As a MM who will go East, start phoning your newer members now and key PMs; use the phone to start building your future team as future wm now