My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Quick Lesson

owls84

Premium Member
This is something that I constantly hear incorrectly defined and I came accross this definition that is pretty simple and easy to understand.

TYPES OF FREEMASON LODGES

What is a "Regular" Masonic Lodge?

Regularity is the process by which individual Grand lodges recognize one another for the purposes of allowing formal interaction at the Grand Lodge level and visitation by members of other jurisdictions.

The largest collection of mutually recognized Grand Lodges derives its regularity from the United Grand Lodge of England (UGLE) based on a set of specific criteria. Dating back to 1717, UGLE is considered to be not only the oldest, but the largest grouping of lodges.

UGLE provides a list of recognized Grand Lodges on its website.

What is a "Clandestine" Lodge?

A "clandestine lodge" is one that does not hold a proper charter from any Grand lodge.

What is an "Irregular" Lodge?

An "irregular lodge" is a lodge that does have a charter from a Grand lodge, but its Grand lodge is not recognized by other Grand lodges.

A7V

Didn't we have a long conversation about this last year with some guy from a clandestine lodge?

A7V

I agree, no issues with the post, just was remembering back when we actually dealt with the issue on the forums.