My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Tragedy

rebis

Premium Member
Brethren, as you know, I have not been online in a while.
I am saddened to inform you that our lodge Evening Star #186 up here in gold rush country Northern California in the small town of Etna burnt to the ground this Past December 8th 2013. It was the second or third oldest lodge in California erected in 1867. I was the last Master Mason raised there and completed my proficiency the very week it burned down.

All of our records, library and an incredible amount history gone up in flames in just four hours. Our Eastern Star Chapter is the 10th oldest in the nation and perhaps the first one in the state. The good news is that most of their old records were preserved in an old fireproof filing cabinet. Our Job's Daughters Bethel weren't as lucky either.
A tragedy and a huge historical loss to all the brothers whithersoever dispersed around the globe and the community as a whole. Our Grand Master came up and was able to present us with a replica of our original charter. That meant a lot and alleviated some of the distress.

Unfortunately, our insurance was past due at the time it burned down and therefore virtually none of the loss was covered. We are on our own and as we once all stood on our first admission into the lodge...we again find ourselves destitute.

Our brothers in Fort Jones (North Star #91) have generously offers their hall for us to meet in.
None of us including the Grand Master have any desire or inclination to merge. We wish to rebuild...somehow.

Kindly spread the news to all the brothers you know and far and wide as you can.
There are pictures on our web site along with some words about our old lodge and its history written by our oldest member.
http://www.calodges.org/no186/

We also put up a facebook page. It might be helpful in spreading the word. Please friend us:
www.facebook.com/eveningstar186

Those of you that receive the monthly subscription magazine (california) can read more about it in the March issue.

We implore you, please bring our story before your lodge and let all the brothers know.

S/F,

logia.jpg

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
This is one of those threads where words cannot convey the feelings one has when they read this...

Edit: I'll bring it up at my next meeting to the WM. We are very tight though with our financial obligations so I'm not sure what we can do as a lodge.

Does your lodge/district/GL have a paypal account set up for relief? Would it be ok for you to post that here?

Last edited:

rebis

Premium Member
It was an accident. The fire department says that is was likely an overloaded electrical wire. It was very cold that day.
No, Grand Lodge has nothing set up for relief that we know of. In fact we have not heard back from Grand Lodge since December. They were supposed to have a meeting and get back to us with a plan. It's now four months later and we heard nothing even though we keep calling. We therefore decided to put the word out there and let the brothers know. It sure feels like we're on our own. We could put up a paypal thing, but I am not sure if Grand Lodge allows it. Our contact info is on the web site. The phone number there rings the Master. He'd appreciate a call of support I am sure.
The atmosphere amongst the lodge brothers here is that of despair and hopelessness.