My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Accepted Avatar for a EA

Browncoat

So in matters of jurisdictional differences, the prevailing rule of law on these forums is the Texas interpretation?

Bro Darren

Premium Member
So in matters of jurisdictional differences, the prevailing rule of law on these forums is the Texas interpretation?
That's for the Administrators and Moderators to decide - My personal decision is based on the respect that I have for all of my Brothers.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
This website was originally Masons of Texas, it's owned by a Texas Mason, and the majority of the staff are Texas Masons. So, yes, it is biased towards a Texas jurisdictional flavour, with a number of "where I'm from" inputs.

Bro Darren

Premium Member
This website was originally Masons of Texas, it's owned by a Texas Mason, and the majority of the staff are Texas Masons. So, yes, it is biased towards a Texas jurisdictional flavour, with a number of "where I'm from" inputs.
So mote it be.

I'm just happy to have such a welcoming place to come, share & ask questions from Brothers with more experience than I.

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member

Since the majority of the staff members are Members of the Grand Lodge of Texas, yes by default. However we are all aware of outside legislative differences, and will enforce either or both as needed.

For example, when I am asked to respond to a "Reported Post" by another member, I first weigh my TX background along with the complainants reasoning before enforcing or acting. Often times the Staff as a whole "body" convenes to make a conscious decision based on our "combined" knowledge.

I sincerely hope Bro. "Browncoat", that this response satisfies your question. If not, please feel free to ask any staff member via Private Messenger... We'll be happy to assist you.

Browncoat

Every forum has it's own climate, largely dictated by those who moderate it. I have been a moderator on a number of forums myself over the years, and am well aware of the difficulties faced, both in the public forums and behind closed doors. I'm well aware of the duties and responsibilities of the moderator staff, and what a thankless undertaking it can be...especially when a newbie comes along an openly questions the status quo.

Masonic Related Rules, Regulations, and Notifications:

• This website is not sponsored by, endorsed, or related in any way to any Grand Lodge, constituent lodge, or appendant body.
  • One of the overall purposes and goals for this community is to provide a place for Masons, their friends and families and those what would like to discuss and learn more about Masonry.
  • While as stated above that we are not related to any official Masonic body, using their rules and regulations as guide as to what would be acceptable on these forums would be prudent. The My Freemasonry team shall be the sole arbitrator of what does and what does not violate community standards.

As a general rule, "what is" and "what isn't" is largely left up to individual moderator interpretation on any forum. Given the nature of Freemasonry and jurisdictional differences, I personally believe that more disclosure is needed in this rule. If this used to be a mostly Texan forum, currently moderated by Texans, then it should be noted that in matters of jurisdictional differences, Texan interpretation is defacto. In particular:

While as stated above that we are not related to any official Masonic body, using their rules and regulations as guide as to what would be acceptable on these forums would be prudent.

Should read "Texas rules" instead of "their rules" to alleviate confusion as to how rules are interpreted. I'm not sure how an unbiased staff discussion of issues could take place unless several jurisdictions were represented on the staff if the intent is a non-Texas specific forum. But, I digress. My intent has never been to create dissension with my responses, only clarification, and that has been achieved.

My next question would be, are the Texas bylaws published so that I (and others) may read them in order to minimize jurisdictional differences on the forums in the future?

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
Every forum has it's own climate, largely dictated by those who moderate it. I have been a moderator on a number of forums myself over the years, and am well aware of the difficulties faced, both in the public forums and behind closed doors. I'm well aware of the duties and responsibilities of the moderator staff, and what a thankless undertaking it can be...especially when a newbie comes along an openly questions the status quo.

As a general rule, "what is" and "what isn't" is largely left up to individual moderator interpretation on any forum. Given the nature of Freemasonry and jurisdictional differences, I personally believe that more disclosure is needed in this rule. If this used to be a mostly Texan forum, currently moderated by Texans, then it should be noted that in matters of jurisdictional differences, Texan interpretation is defacto. In particular:

Should read "Texas rules" instead of "their rules" to alleviate confusion as to how rules are interpreted. I'm not sure how an unbiased staff discussion of issues could take place unless several jurisdictions were represented on the staff if the intent is a non-Texas specific forum. But, I digress. My intent has never been to create dissension with my responses, only clarification, and that has been achieved.

My next question would be, are the Texas bylaws published so that I (and others) may read them in order to minimize jurisdictional differences on the forums in the future?
Browncoat,

We're dwelling into muddy waters. I know this is a message forum but there is one main difference between forums for masons and every other subject out there. I am an /anon figure on a gaming forum. I can spout off and not worry about breaking an obligation I made on the VSL. Here, we should first and foremost remember the name we're given as a newly made mason. You will not violate your OB if you follow your obligations. I consider myself a "traveling man" when I'm posting here. I am sure of the masonic affiliations displayed by the others here to be valid but I would never take that as lawful masonic information. I would not participate in nor initiate any sensitive esoteric material.

This is a public forum and Brethren should act as Brethren.

As far as an acceptable avatar for an EA, this should be known once you observe ttgl. There is no *what ifs* here because you have yet to kneel before the alter as a Fellow Craft or Master Mason. This is why Master Masons do not take EAs and FCs displaying the S and C in the position of MM lightly and will correct those who are of a lesser degree to display it correctly...constructively of course. :)

Last edited:

crono782

Premium Member
Think of it less like we are "enforcing Texas rules" and more that we are making a judgment call in the best interest of the community and site. It's a nebulous concept, but there is not a lot of black and white here. I've also been a moderator and admin of other forums before and this is a bit of a special case. Given the nature of our discussion it must be kept as best as possible such that folks across a vast number of jurisdictions will not think that the discussion is inappropriate. It doesn't take much to offend some committees/lines and the heat can come down real quick. Sometimes we make a call that affects members and/or posts and I sincerely hope that members realize that the decisions are made in the interest of the community to keep it thriving and most importantly, alive and well.