My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anagrams

killspin

Just a quick question to put out there. I am currently learning my MM memory work, and I know there are a lot that use an anagram for that really long part. I am trying to go without one and learn word for word. Does anyone have ideas on pros and/or cons on the use of an anagram? Thanks in advance for all thoughts.

crono782

Premium Member
I don't see a problem with using mnemonics. Being a successful ritualist will require a few tricks to cram it all in. Memory work is no different IMO. I used a mnemonic during my FC, but didn't learn one for the MM until afterwards.

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
To me, the value of the anagram is 1. It keeps one from leaving anything out, and 2. It helps one keep things in the proper order. One still has to learn the full wording of the thing.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
I was raised in November and no one told me about an anagram.....our isnt an anagram a word read normally but when flipped upside down and read backwards its another word?

Jonathan Madsen, SD, Crater lake 211 A.F&A.M

killspin

My apologies, brothers, the word I was meaning to use is acrostic. My son has been studying anagrams and the word stuck. That being said, I have enjoyed all responses. I can see the value on both sides of this. For myself, it looks like mnemonics is going to win out. I have GOT to get the right order.

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

dfreybur

Premium Member
Mnemonics are in use all over the place for keeping order. In astronomy there's "Oh Be A Fine Girl Kiss Me" for the OBAFGKM sequence of star brightness for example. A mnemonic to keep track of all of those furthermores makes sense to me.

I learned a couple of them for orders of words in different versions of the ritual.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
isnt an anagram a word read normally but when flipped upside down and read backwards its another word?
That's an ambigram. An anagram is made from the first letters of a series of words. The government thrives on them.

I never really considered using them in ritual, which is odd, because I tend to make anagrams out of a number of names and statements in my day-to-day life.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
I want to apologize, my last post sounded argumentative, and I didn't mean it that way.

Jonathan Madsen, SD, Crater lake 211 A.F&A.M

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
No worries. And you're correct; I believe acronym is what we're all talking about here. SMIB.

Last edited:

killspin

I was able to get the work done without the use of a "key" ( to make it simpler). Even though it was more difficult I got so much more from it than I believe I would have otherwise. I appreciate all the posts. Thanks for the fun discussion.