My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ancient Craft Masons use of 6000 year date

BullDozer Harrell

To date, i have not heard anything that explains about how some Craft lodges ever began to assign the beginning of the world to the date of 4000 BC?

How did this ever become a part of Craft Masonry? Who originated the idea that 4000 BC is the "Year of Light" when our Earth came into existence?

Were they French, Scottish, English or Irish Freemasons?

I'm pretty certain that this whole "Anno Lucis" thing is just another one of our symbolic expressions. However, i'm still curious about its origin.

From whom and whence it came?

http://www.masonic-lodge-of-education.com/masonic-calendar.html

Sent from my SM-T377P using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app

BullDozer Harrell

Never heard of this Bishop Ussher guy but thanks for your response.

I'd be more willing to credit Sir Isaac Newton's 4000 BC as a possibility of origin and use in Craft Masonry.

Still have a hunch though that the Ancient Brethren only meant it as a symbol for something.

Sent from my SM-N930P using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app

pointwithinacircle2

Rapscallion
Premium Member
This is the first time I have heard the term A.L. linked to the beginning of the Earth. I was under the impression that it referred to the "Year of Light", as in "Masonic Light". It is my impression that 4000 BCE is the earliest date to which the occurrence of Masonic Light can be traced.

MarkR

Premium Member
Every reliable Masonic source I've ever seen on this refers to Bishop Ussher's calculations.

Reactions: MBC