My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Atheist Debaptism Ceremony

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
I tie it in to the fact that a lot of the time, people are following the herd so intently that they can't see the cliff they are being lead off. Like the protestors so committed to protesting the Marines, they contradict themselves. I believe it was the Project Pink thing.

Atheism, to me, is kind of the new New Age. Kind of like you said, they see themselves as the enlightened ones. But then, the people who believed in the power of crystals thought the same.

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
Which thing, the following the herd? I think there has been plenty of evidence that it already has. Case in point close to my area, the Branch Davidians. They followed a man they thought was the Messiah after he took the title at gun point from the Messiah before him. The whole group migrated down to Texas from up north to await the end of the world in the late 1950's, early 1960's. Their old compound site is now a school.

I think it's easy to get lost in a group thought, especially when listening to someone who has similiar beliefs. One minute you are having a revival, the next you are drinking kool-aid to go meet your maker. That's why I think it's always good to stop for a moment and take a look around and make sure you are on the actual path you thought you were on.

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
i'm not really sure we're disagreeing, then.

i was specifically talking about this:

Kind of like you said, they see themselves as the enlightened ones.

can't this be said of christians, too? in 1000 years will everyone see us in the same way when the mainstream religion has changed?

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
I would say yes. I would think all people who follow a belief see themselves as being the enlightened ones.

In 1,000 years, I would say the sky is the limit. It kind of reminds me of a somewhat hokey line from Men In Black. "500 years ago everyone knew the world was flat. 5 minutes ago, you knew that man was alone in the universe. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."

I think that in 1,000 year we will probably see probably see more splintering of the major religions on minor details. But in that same thought, I think we will see more people tolerent of the beliefs of others. In the next 1,000 years, I don't think we can afford to not be more accepting of each others differences. And they may look back at us and wonder why we ever fought over things like who controlled the Holy Lands when we all believed in the same Supreme Being to begin with. Regardless it is a very thought provoking question. That would make for a good debate question.

What about you? How do you think everyone will see in 1,000 years when mainstream eligion has changed?

drapetomaniac

Premium Member
Premium Member
I would say yes. I would think all people who follow a belief see themselves as being the enlightened ones.

Very few have commenting on others as a tenet of their religion.

I think the world will become more secular, but science will actually start to bring them back full circle. Even if they call it by a different name.

Example: Acupuncture is "just eastern mysticism or a placebo" until studies start proving it works (which they have) - then there will be a "real" acupuncture that looks down on its predecessor.

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
Very few have commenting on others as a tenet of their religion.

I think the world will become more secular, but science will actually start to bring them back full circle. Even if they call it by a different name.

Example: Acupuncture is "just eastern mysticism or a placebo" until studies start proving it works (which they have) - then there will be a "real" acupuncture that looks down on its predecessor.

Good point. Like I said, I think this could make for an extremely thought provoking debate.

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
What about you? How do you think everyone will see in 1,000 years when mainstream religion has changed?

god only knows :)

though, i imagine it will be a reflection of human nature and it's environment...

basically, it'll be twitter updates and mafia wars on facebook.

Reference: Lines 1 and 3 are humorous. Line 2 is my actual thought :)

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
god only knows :)

though, i imagine it will be a reflection of human nature and it's environment...

basically, it'll be twitter updates and mafia wars on facebook.

Reference: Lines 1 and 3 are humorous. Line 2 is my actual thought :)

So glad it's mafia wars and not farmville. I might have to kill myself if religion was reduced to stray sheep wandering into my fields or people wanting more chicken coops. LOL