My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blue Degrees vs. Red Degrees

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
There is not such thing as blue lodge brothers it's called a master mason lodge and there no such thing as a red lodge whatever that maybe their is a royal arch mason chapter.

Perhaps not in your state but "blue Lodge" is commonly used in the Southern states and refers to a constituent Lodge of a recognized Grand Lodge, which works a York Rite-based ritual in the 1st, 2nd, & 3rd Degrees, NOT just the MM Degree. "Red Lodge" refers to a Lodge which works a Scottish Rite-based ritual in the first 3 Degrees- found normally in Louisiana and is NOT clandestine.

New York grand lodge of Freemason works with the first three degrees e.a, f.c, m.m after you have completed those degrees and have been a m.m in good standing for a period of 1 yr you may be allowed to petition to other rites, orders or observances that are acknowledged by the Grand Lodge.

Again, there's a difference. The Grand Lodge of Texas only requires that the newly-raised MM demonstrate his proficiency in the work (he has up to 90 days to learn & demonstrate his proficiency) before joining an appendant body.

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
Actually, the edict was issued by M:.W:. O'Neill during his year and outlaws the "red Lodge" ritual from being worked in GLoTX Lodges. It is still in effect.
The Louisiana "red Lodges" are shown as regular in the List of Lodges Masonic and, AFAIK, it is OK to go visit & sit in them.

And on that note...

After speaking with Bro. Bryan last night at installation, apparently O.K. Allen Lodge #33 F. & A.M. (GLoLA) has obtained approval to operate in the Red Lodge format. Good to know that my "plural" Lodge is one of the fun ones!!

andrew626

What is the difference between Blue and Red lodges? I mostly see Blue, here in the greater los angeles area.

Freemason Connect Mobile

Roy Vance

Certified
Premium Member
You're in.

And, if you play your GPS right,

you don't even have to traverse Baja Oklahoma!

:001_rolleyes:

Baja Oklahoma? Don't ever, ever let my Aunt hear you say that. She will never let me live it down. She lives in Oklahoma City.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
What is the difference between Blue and Red lodges? I mostly see Blue, here in the greater los angeles area.
From post #41: ""blue Lodge" is commonly used in the Southern states and refers to a constituent Lodge of a recognized Grand Lodge, which works a York Rite-based ritual in the 1st, 2nd, & 3rd Degrees. "Red Lodge" refers to a Lodge which works a Scottish Rite-based ritual in the first 3 Degrees- found normally in Louisiana."

dfreybur

Premium Member
Actually, the edict was issued by M:.W:. O'Neill during his year and outlaws the "red Lodge" ritual from being worked in GLoTX Lodges. It is still in effect.

To my knowledge all US lodges have standard work that is mandated by all members lodges with varying degrees of strictness. There's an Oklahoma degree team that travels the country doing exhibition degrees. It's common for the GM of California or Illinois to grant dispensation for them to confer their third on one of our candidates. And even more common for GMs to grant dispensation for them to exhibit their degree rather than conferring it.

So a GM "can" grant a dispensation for some other ritual to be conferred on a live candidate in Texas. Whether any one GM "would" grant such a dispensation is a different matter. It depends on whether that particular GM, local tradition, knowledge of other jurisdictions ...

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
So a GM "can" grant a dispensation for some other ritual to be conferred on a live candidate in Texas.
Art. 127. Ritual.
No ritual other than that promulgated by this Grand Lodge shall be taught or used in this Jurisdiction provided however, by special dispensation of the Grand Master, a degree team from another Grand Jurisdiction in fraternal relations with this Grand Lodge may confer a degree on one of their own candidates (italics mine) using ritual as approved in the degree team’s home jurisdiction, provided said ritual is in English.