My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can a fellow member put another brother in his place?

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
The term is to “whisper good counsel”.

In Masonry unlike other fraternities and the world, our purpose is to be equal to each other. No Brother is better than the other. Should one of us drift off course it is the duty of the Brethren to right the ship. To simply use the verbiage of “putting in place” goes against our own directive.

We as children of our own Higher Power although under the mapping and direction therein drift off course. That is why we as Brothers are here. We trust, mentor, coach, support, and ultimately and without prejudice love each other as fellow men and brethren of a higher power.

Please, should I ever... I pray that someone will show me the Light.

Bloke

Premium Member
The OP asks an interesting question to which immediately comes to mind - it is better to encourage than admonish.....

... also that I am not my brothers keeper(an idea outside Freemasonry), and the masonic virtues of silence and being willing to shed a tear of sympathy on the failings of a brother - but also counterpointed by our great principles of brotherly love, relief and truth and the two core ideas in Freemasonry - improving yourself and treating the people around you well.
The term is to “whisper good counsel”....

We do not have that line - but do have the idea., but I will use it in the future :)

We have a discussion on this very topic this week - about calling out bad behavior. One factor we identified is we often do not seek to correct a brother due to advanced age or rank - which often come hand in hand.. but also spoke about how it is often people who hold rank or age who need some nudging in the right direction. As a generally conservative organisation with an aged membership, we often meet attitudes out of step with todays society, indeed often positive ones like integrity and honesty, but also (as I see them and it is often subjective) negative ones, especially around sexuality, minorities and even woman - but as an example and I have said elsewhere, holding and voicing a value like misogyny is unmasonic. We have a masonic virtue of silence, but all to often we use that as an excuse not to confront bad behavour, and I often wonder about that. Tempered by the idea that Freemasonry promotes tolerance and acceptance - not judging others. (Especially when combined with my Religion which includes the " Judge Not" idea , (viz Matthew 7:3-5, John 8:7))

...Once I become a Master Mason and see another brother not conducting himself properly to others, can I remind him of how he needs to conduct himself and treat others if needed?...
Again, it is better to encourage than admonish. While my brothers are correct - you will learn about this as you pass through your degrees, I've often found a question is much better than a statement, and a question might be "Being new to Freemasonry, I was wondering how that behaviour is consistent with being a Freemason" or "Are you being the best Freemason you can be?" - but as a newbie you might be received as a smart-ar@# asking a Brother that sort of thing..

One thing I do know, I am less likely to tolerate poor behaviour within Freemasonry and from Freemasons than I am in wider society, especially business.

But I guess all that is really no answer at all to your question..

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
The way I approach another Brother is by simply “Brother Square your Action”, and just keep it moving it’s not open for discussion...
Unless the Brother correcting you only believes he's right even though you and others know otherwise - I had this occur far too many times, and from DDGMs too!

When it's done in a group, everyone gets the spray. If it's done on the side, it's less likely to get messy.

acjohnson53

Unless the Brother correcting you only believes he's right even though you and others know otherwise - I had this occur far too many times, and from DDGMs too!

When it's done in a group, everyone gets the spray. If it's done on the side, it's less likely to get messy.

Just like that, tactfully...

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app

Bro. David F. Hill

David F. Hill
Premium Member
What we must remember is that many jurisdictions have different rituals so things may be phrased differently. But we still must be willing to pull the a person aside and chat with them instead of just overlooking the issue. Cain asked God if he was his brothers keeper. Masonically we are. There's another thread about intolerance. To ignore intolerance or an issue is to accept it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using My Freemasonry mobile app

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
We do not have that line - but do have the idea., but I will use it in the future :)
Do y'all not have any references to the 5 Points of Fellowship? That's where the line in question is found in our ritual, specifically in the MM Lecture.

Bloke

Premium Member
Do y'all not have any references to the 5 Points of Fellowship? That's where the line in question is found in our ritual, specifically in the MM Lecture.
Yes, we have the 5PoF = but I cannot remember or think of a reference to "whisper good council".. and I'd probably know - I know the associated charges - but sometimes these things can be obtuse... but many thanks for the comment - it deepens my understanding.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Agreed.
But we still must be willing to pull the a person aside and chat with them instead of just overlooking the issue. Cain asked God if he was his brothers keeper. Masonically we are.
Agreed.
Same here.