My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Demit?

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I would have certainly thought the same, but according to reply #10, he has a right to visit. I really would have thought if you demit, you were out, but apparently not. Go figure.

That right to visit is extremely limited and, in my opinion, is calculated to encourage an unaffiliated Mason to join a new Lodge.

Larry Burks

Bill - I hope you don't mind me throwing another question out there to you about demits but I have one and would like input...some of the rest of you can comment too if you wish. My step-dad is a master mason, and at one point went suspended and then when I got involved, he became in good standing again. He is now up in age and has become blind (probably 90%) and does not feel comfortable going to lodge, where he can't see who he is talking to, etc. He is thinking about going suspended (and has forbid me from paying his dues) because he doesn't go and can't see any more. I was thinking he should Demit instead, and then he could at some point maybe come back. My question, and I know the Grand Master's view (last year) but should (and could) a funeral service be provided to him if he demits, and passes away while in that status?

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
should (and could) a funeral service be provided to him if he demits, and passes away while in that status?

Yes and yes. Also, given his circumstances, if I were you I'd contact the WM and/or Secretary of his Lodge, tell them of his situation, and ask that the Lodge exempt him from the payment of further dues. If you wished to contribute his per capita ($25/year) to his Lodge to relieve them of that expense, I'd think that would be between you & the Lodge.

Beathard

Premium Member
Bill is correct for Texas, but remember that every jurisdiction is different. Some states require a demit first. Some states do not allow plural membership. The Secretary if your new lodge and the Texas Grand Lodge can assist you in navigating the rules of both jurisdictions. Also remember that certificates if good standing expire on December 31st. If they expire, you have to start over.