My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Donations

endmaker

If a donation is made to a Mason Lodge and specify that the donation go to Scholarship effort or another charity the Lodge supports, can that donation be tax deductible?

Keith C

Your inquiry is really a tax question, rather than masonic.

Indeed best to ask a Tax attorney or Tax accountant.

Most Lodges I have contact with are set up as non-profits but NOT charities. In any case given the reduced tax deduction allowance for charitable contributions in the US, I doubt it will matter in the end if you are located in the States.

Bloke

Premium Member
If a donation is made to a Mason Lodge and specify that the donation go to Scholarship effort or another charity the Lodge supports, can that donation be tax deductible?
DISCLAIMER - this is just general comment and cannot be relied upon as I am no qualified to give tax advice... if this is question with large implications, you need to seek qualified and competent advice

It depends on where you are and what you are exactly donating to. Most lodges are not legal entities . And even if there were, most are not registered as Charities but Associations - they need the tax status to be a deductible gift recipient (DGR) - but that is the term and acronym used here in Australia.

You need to check your local laws.

No lodge here has DGR, but if they entity donating is also a factor, for instance, if a company, it might be a before tax expense if it was, say, advertsing or sponsorship.

It is one of the reasons we found hospitals, foundations. orphanages and aged homes and the like - because they are a different legal entity with a different Tax Status.