My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Elected to the AASR

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Just received a letter informing me that I have been elected to receive the degrees of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry, Valley of Louisville. It will be a two day class of approx. 11-12 hours November 13th-14th. Very much looking forward to it.

KSigMason

Traveling Templar
Site Benefactor
Excellent. My Valley is holding its Reunion on the 14th and 15th. I hope you enjoy it. I help confer the 4th, 29th, and 32nd degrees.

Levelhead

Premium Member
Elected? Is that the same as having your petition accepted? From what ive heard, in FL you just submit your petition to the SR and you go to the 2 weekend class.
Theres no ballot or voting on accepting a member in.

I was kind of worried about petitioning because i had a heated argument with a past master (who is pretty active in the SR) and he was so out of order and i put him so straight in front of the brothers that he refused the east this coming year (he was sitting SW) and went to another lodge.

Well i was scared that he would blackball me but i was told theres no balloting of new members joining the SR.

Sent from Mossy Oak Swamp Bottom

KSigMason

Traveling Templar
Site Benefactor
Elected? Is that the same as having your petition accepted? From what ive heard, in FL you just submit your petition to the SR and you go to the 2 weekend class.
Theres no ballot or voting on accepting a member in.
There is still a ballot done to accept the member into the Valley.

dfreybur

Premium Member
... but i was told theres no balloting of new members joining the SR.

At the meetings I've been to the names are listed and the presiding officer asks if there are any objections. At the meetings I've been to there have been no objections, so the presiding officer whacked the gavel and declared the list elected. I don't know what would happen if there were an objection.

Levelhead

Premium Member
Well i put a brother straight in loge and he was deemed out of order. Hes pretty pissed being a past master.

Im going to probably petition another chapter.

Sent from Mossy Oak Swamp Bottom

mrpierce17

KOP Council director / Lodge instructor
Premium Member
Petition was excepted tonight will start classes next month for Scottish Rite we will be doing classes about six months from start to finish and I hear it's a lot to take in

mrpierce17

Premium Member
Just noticed something are consistory's numbered?
Can anyone shed any light on this matter I recently to my first 14 degrees in the Scottish rite Sunrise consistory Florida southern jurisdiction PHA but I don't remember them giving the number of the consistory so I ask again are they numbered or all apart of one whole Northern and southern jurisdictions???

dfreybur

Premium Member
Can anyone shed any light on this matter I recently to my first 14 degrees in the Scottish rite Sunrise consistory Florida southern jurisdiction PHA but I don't remember them giving the number of the consistory so I ask again are they numbered or all apart of one whole Northern and southern jurisdictions???

Of the two jurisdictions I know one is numbered the other is not.

My home valley is Pasadena in AASR-SJ http://pasadenascottishrite.org/about-us/history/ In AASR-SJ they are numbered.

"The City of Pasadena, until 1875, was known as “Indiana Colony.” It had been purchased by group of wealthy Eastern and Central States investors. Even before the town was chartered in 1901, Pasadena Lodge No. 272 was granted its Charter on October 16, 1884. In the mid 1880s a group of Scottish Rite Masons petitioned the Grand Consistory of California for a Lodge of Perfection. In December, 1895, Temple Lodge of Perfection No. 7 was constituted and in a few weeks it claimed 49 members. On March 26, 1896, Temple Chapter of Rose Croix No. 4 was instituted and just six weeks later, the Temple Council of Kadosh No. 4. Pasadena Consistory No. 4 was formed in 1898."

For a decade I lived in Chicago http://www.scottishritechicago.org/history One of my Illinois blue lodges in a tenant in the Chicago Scottish Rite building. In AASR-NMJ they are not numbered.

"On May 14, 1857, a new set of bodies were granted charter under distinctive names, “Van Rensselaer Grand Lodge of Perfection,” “Illinois Council of Princes of Jerusalem,” “Gourgas Chapter of Rose Croix, H-R-D-M,” and “Occidental Sovereign Consistory S.P.R.S.” These bodies would follow the idea that the “high degrees” were composed of superior knowledge and, as such, membership should be limited to the select few. The active membership was limited to 32 with provisions for emeritus and honorary membership. Furthermore, as per the by-laws, 27 of these members had to reside in Chicago."

mrpierce17

Premium Member
Got some clarification on this matter we are numbered 202A reasoning for the letter is because there is another consistory registered with the same number ours being the oldest we were designated 202A the other 202B thank you for the response bro dfreybur

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
At the meetings I've been to the names are listed and the presiding officer asks if there are any objections. At the meetings I've been to there have been no objections, so the presiding officer whacked the gavel and declared the list elected. I don't know what would happen if there were an objection.
Just got the answer to this last night at the AASR meeting as far as how it is done in Kentucky. All petitioners are voted on as a group. If there is a black ball(s) in this ballot then all petitioners are voted on separately.