My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Endowments

dfreybur

Premium Member
Thanks for posting the code on life memberships, Bro Bill. I've never heard of anything like that one before. In both of my jurisdictions if the lodge wants to vote a life membership for a brother they have to cut a check from the general fund and deposit the money into the life membership fund. In California it's an account managed by the lodge; in Illinois it's an account managed by the grand lodge. Both times I've gone through the line I paid a life membership endowment before I made it to the east so they didn't need to spend the money on me once I was a PM.

I've seen "honorary membership" in Illinois but not California. The lodge votes an honorary membership. It does not come with voting rights or dues. You're just not a visitor any more. In Lombard 1098 I served on their degree team and delivered regular masonic Education talks for a few years before they decided to vote me an honorary membership.

The Texas life membership status isn't the same as the variations I've seen before. Cool.