My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Felons

Winter

Premium Member
It's jurisdictional. Many Grand Lodges say no outright to petitioners with felony convictions. But I have heard mention of some that will take the nature of the crime into account and weigh it against how the individual has lived since.

Bloke

Premium Member
In Australia, we tend not to use "felony" as a term, but we will consider applications with convictions and in our masonic jurisdiction they are reviewed on a case by case basis.. Pattern of good behavior and time elapsed and severity of crime and penalty imposed are all considered.
Any conviction needs to be referred to Grand Lodge for review and cannot be balloted for until the green light is given in writing by the Grand Lodge.
I would say this, it is very unusual to see Freemasons who have had a custodial sentence. Crimes like sexual assault or murder are hard stops.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Petition NOT barred by a felony conviction
Alaska
Arizona
California
Colorado
Idaho
Illinois
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Maine
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Ohio
Oklahoma
South Carolina
Texas
Utah
Washington
Wyoming (legislation pending)

edited

Last edited:

Bloke

Premium Member
I am actually surprised it is that many.
I am not. It does not mean they are accepted, but likely that they have the chance to be considered.

Here, no applicant with a criminal conviction of any sort can proceed to ballot without reference and permission from GL. Without that permission, anyone aware of the offense have themselves committed a masonic offense and is liable to masonic charge.

Ill John J. Tumolo III

As Secretary for my Pennsylvania Blue Lodge, one of my first checks for a new petition is to check for convictions. A felony conviction means no entry. Period. As I tell the petitioner, we take GOOD men and make them better. If you are a convicted felon, even though society may have forgiven you, we cannot and will not approve you for membership.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
As Secretary for my Pennsylvania Blue Lodge, one of my first checks for a new petition is to check for convictions. A felony conviction means no entry. Period. As I tell the petitioner, we take GOOD men and make them better. If you are a convicted felon, even though society may have forgiven you, we cannot and will not approve you for membership.
Forgiveness and admission are two different issues. One certainly can forgive another, but still put limitations on their associations.

6-7

First I want to apologize to Bloke for my very unmasonic comment to his original post.
I would like to thank everyone who responded to my thread, it was very informative.

Bloke

Premium Member
First I want to apologize to Bloke for my very unmasonic comment to his original post.
I would like to thank everyone who responded to my thread, it was very informative.
Ho problem Brother. Your message is appreciated and well received. I thank you for it.