My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fundraising

admarcus1

Fundraising is not practicing Freemasonry

Is there a single definition of Freemasonry accepted by all?

Working together in fellowship with my Brothers in a way that contributes to our lodge or community is not practicing Freemasonry? Putting into practice those virtues reinforced by the symbols I learn about and study as part of my Masonic education is a waste of time? Our fundraising events have been fun, have been an incredible opportunity for fellowship, and an excellent way to contribute positively to our community and raise money for worthy causes. I tend to see Brothers at these events that I don't see at every lodge meeting. It can be a way to bring more of my Brothers in.

To me, Freemasonry is not just the ritual, or lectures, education, and discussion. It is putting the tenets and values of Freemasonry into practice, as I understand them. Raising money for victims of the Boston Marathon bombing, or for disabled veterans is putting Freemasonry into practice. So is organizing and participating in a blood drive. These might not be meaningful to an individual Mason, and if not, he does not have to participate.

I would not define for someone else what constitutes Freemasonry and what does not. Every Brother must consider what he has learned and put it into practice as best he knows how. Determining the how is a lifelong pursuit, and one's understanding of it can change as one studies and learns more, and as one experiences life more.

japool

Working together in fellowship with my Brothers in a way that contributes to our lodge or community is not practicing Freemasonry? Putting into practice those virtues reinforced by the symbols I learn about and study as part of my Masonic education is a waste of time? Our fundraising events have been fun, have been an incredible opportunity for fellowship, and an excellent way to contribute positively to our community and raise money for worthy causes. I tend to see Brothers at these events that I don't see at every lodge meeting. It can be a way to bring more of my Brothers in.

Amen Brother. Fundraising can actually be fun. If you don't want to participate, then don't. Just don't gripe about fundraising because you feel guilty or whatever about not helping. We have never begrudged a brother because of other obligations.

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App