My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Green Chile Stew

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Green Chile Stew

Red potatoes (4-5)
Meat (1 pound) I prefer elk, but you may use what you like.
Onions (1-2)
Garlic (1 head)
Carrots (2-3)
Green chile (1 pound of fresh, roasted, NM grown. If you can't get fresh, go frozen, but avoid canned except in emergencies, or war zones.)
Season to taste with oregano, bay leaves, rosemary, you name it.

Chop everything to stew-size bits.
Boil the potatoes and carrots in just enough water to cover them until they are about halfway cooked. Sear the meat while they are boiling.
Throw everything else into the pot and simmer for 20 minutes to an hour.

You can add a bit of corn starch to thicken the broth. You can also throw in just about anything else you like; no one does it the same way, and most of us don't do it the same way twice. I like to chop corn-on-the-cob into small pieces and add them. You can also adjust the amounts to feed 4 or 40.

Guaranteed to cure colds, most flu viruses, and several known diseases. Also considered highly addictive.

Rick Clifton

Green Chile Stew

Red potatoes (4-5)
Meat (1 pound) I prefer elk, but you may use what you like.
Onions (1-2)
Garlic (1 head)
Carrots (2-3)
Green chile (1 pound of fresh, roasted, NM grown. If you can't get fresh, go frozen, but avoid canned except in emergencies, or war zones.)
Season to taste with oregano, bay leaves, rosemary, you name it.

Chop everything to stew-size bits.
Boil the potatoes and carrots in just enough water to cover them until they are about halfway cooked. Sear the meat while they are boiling.
Throw everything else into the pot and simmer for 20 minutes to an hour.

You can add a bit of corn starch to thicken the broth. You can also throw in just about anything else you like; no one does it the same way, and most of us don't do it the same way twice. I like to chop corn-on-the-cob into small pieces and add them. You can also adjust the amounts to feed 4 or 40.

Guaranteed to cure colds, most flu viruses, and several known diseases. Also considered highly addictive.

Please tell me you're using a 50/50 mix of Hatch or Deming, Big Jim and Sandia chile that received very little water while growing.

Please,Please have me over for your next batch with elk, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I'll bring the fire extinguisher of your choice.

Last edited:

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I usually go Hatch, and water depends on the rain for the year. When I grew my own, I had a 3-tier system where only the upper (tourist) tier received direct watering. This resulted in three heats, and a good blend of flavour.
Now that I'm in Califas, I'll have to depend on the kindness of friends.

And yes, it's roasting season back home...

Rick Clifton

I usually go Hatch, and water depends on the rain for the year. When I grew my own, I had a 3-tier system where only the upper (tourist) tier received direct watering. This resulted in three heats, and a good blend of flavour.
Now that I'm in Califas, I'll have to depend on the kindness of friends.

And yes, it's roasting season back home...

I'm told by growers, Less water=More Heat.

Catering more to the local tastes, not cowans and eavesdroppers.

Last edited:

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Exactly, thus my tiered system. By watering only the top, you get three different levels of heat.

The past few years we have had serious drought conditions, and very hot chile. This year is filled with mixed blessings; we have gotten more rain than in a decade (which we need to survive), but the chile is generally milder, and some even rotting because of drowning.

DJGurkins

Floresville #515
Premium Member
Another way to do is to peel the peppers. Note wear gloves or have vinegar on hand. This trick can be pretty hard on the hands to the novice. (learned the hard way)

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Always peel them, the skins are very tough and inedible.

When I roast chiles at home, I bag them and put them in the freezer while they are still warm. When you go to use them (days, weeks, months later) you put them under cold water and the skins slide right off.