My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello from an Australian moving to Houston

Marcus Lee-Steere

Greetings, I am currently an EA in Melbourne, Australia. I will be taking my Fellowcraft degree on 6 February and then moving to Houston, Texas, on 7 February 2024.

Naturally I will miss the welcome and friendship of my mother lodge here in Melbourne, but I'm looking forward to continuing my journey in Freemasonry and making new friends in Houston and across Texas.

Bloke

Premium Member
Hello Bro Marcus

Go back to your Lodge Secretary Wayne and ask him for a Travel Letter. This will be stamped by GL and serve as a letter of Introduction. Ask the Lodge Sec to include your Degree Dates in that letter.

@mvantuyl - if Texas opens in Third, will an EA or FC need anything special ?

Good luck in your travels Brother @Marcus Lee-Steere

Chaz

Welcome to the GLoTX!
I believe that along with the travel letter, you might need a disposition to continue degrees in an unaffiliated lodge or a petition of affiliation. It has been many winters since I last did that, so I could be mistaken. The new secretary at the Grand Lodge should be plenty helpful in getting you acquainted with the proper forms and procedures!

Abdurrahim muhammad

Dear brothers so this travel letter you speak of is this necessary for only those coming from another country or for those coming from any lodge to another??

Keith C

Dear brothers so this travel letter you speak of is this necessary for only those coming from another country or for those coming from any lodge to another??

As with most things Masonic the answer is "It depends." Typically here in the States a Dues Card is sufficient, but a 'Travelling Letter" is like a "Belt and Sunspenders", i.e. extra insurance in case of questions. It is pretty much mandatory going from Country to country.

Marcus Lee-Steere

Hello Bro Marcus

Go back to your Lodge Secretary Wayne and ask him for a Travel Letter. This will be stamped by GL and serve as a letter of Introduction. Ask the Lodge Sec to include your Degree Dates in that letter.

@mvantuyl - if Texas opens in Third, will an EA or FC need anything special ?

Good luck in your travels Brother @Marcus Lee-Steere

Many thanks for the reply Brother. So Bro. Wayne is definitely on the case, although rather complicated by me taking my Fellowcraft degree the night prior to flying to Houston. Likely I will receive the travel letter than night and I will post it back to UGLV on my way to the airport the next day for their stamp and forwarding on to me in Houston. The wheels turn slowly but a little patience isn't a bad thing and I am very fortunate and honoured to be able to achieve Fellowcraft prior to leaving.

Marcus Lee-Steere

Welcome to the GLoTX!
I believe that along with the travel letter, you might need a disposition to continue degrees in an unaffiliated lodge or a petition of affiliation. It has been many winters since I last did that, so I could be mistaken. The new secretary at the Grand Lodge should be plenty helpful in getting you acquainted with the proper forms and procedures!

Good advices, thanks Brother. I will wait until I have the travel letter in the first instance and then reach out to the GLoTX for advice.