My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Historic time between degrees

The Traveling Man

Although in my Jurisdiction only requires 1 month between degrees, my former Jurisdiction required 3 months from petition to Initiation, 5 months from EA to FC and 7 months from FC to MM. In my opinion there should be a longer period between the degrees. An EA should be silent, his only duty being to listen and learn. While you may be able to learn a few exam questions in a month, you can't learn the entirety of that degree 1 month. Now you're pushed into the 2nd, having not fully mastered the previous degree. We're filling chairs, but, especially if the Lodge does not do LoI or have an Education Officer, it creates a Lodge of poorly educated Brothers. In my former Jurisdiction I stayed in the NE for a few years (by choice). In old times a boy in his youth would be an Apprentice for 7 years. I don't feel that 7 years is necessary in Speculative Masonry, but I think one should not be advanced to the next degree until he has
1.) Mastered that degree.
2.) Witnessed the degree being conferred upon someone.
3.) Assisted in conferring the degree on someone.

Not sure if a specific amount of time should be required, but I'd say somewhere between 3 to 6 months per degree would be most beneficial.