My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Join

Elexir

Anyone knows if a good looking candidate is a preferable or a deciding factor? Thanks.

For me looks are not any deciding factors when I sponsor but rather how they are.

Im 6,6 with hair longer then the women at work and a large beard and is not the welltrained type.
Does that make me a worse then some clean-cut wellshaven man?

Howard Giang

Were that a factor, I would not be a Mason. ;)
Hi Ajay,
I think use you as a proof that look is a deciding factor or at least preferable.
1) You are a good looking (explain it is a coincidence that you happen to be a good looking and Freemason as the same time). You can randomly ask many women in public to if you are ugly. I bet most women will "No, you are not ugly. Why are you questioned that?"
2) Okay, how comes I could not find just one Freemason is not good looking?
3) Why wouldn't any organization doesn't want their members to be good looking? Beside, their members are representing their organizations. Even restaurant owners hire/prefer good looking waitress/waiter/host for their restaurants.
You can only point out that airlines industry is an exception.

Let assume you are right regarding look is not preferable or is a deciding factor. Would you insist that should be and why/why not? Thanks.

Howard Giang

For me looks are not any deciding factors when I sponsor but rather how they are.

Im 6,6 with hair longer then the women at work and a large beard and is not the welltrained type.
Does that make me a worse then some clean-cut wellshaven man?
Hi Elixir,
I don't know what you looks like from your icon, but I can tell you that there is no ugly Freemason. Anyone that insists that there is, to me, is an anti-Freemason.
I am sure when you cut/shaved/cleaned up/dressed up in a tuxedo, you will look great.
None of the less, it may be a deciding factor, but you were not aware of it since it was not a factor for you because you are not ugly but in fact handsome or at least above certain threshold, and I bet you probably don't even know that either.

Ajay Chandar

Hi Ajay,
I think use you as a proof that look is a deciding factor or at least preferable.
1) You are a good looking (explain it is a coincidence that you happen to be a good looking and Freemason as the same time). You can randomly ask many women in public to if you are ugly. I bet most women will "No, you are not ugly. Why are you questioned that?"
2) Okay, how comes I could not find just one Freemason is not good looking?
3) Why wouldn't any organization doesn't want their members to be good looking? Beside, their members are representing their organizations. Even restaurant owners hire/prefer good looking waitress/waiter/host for their restaurants.
You can only point out that airlines industry is an exception.

Let assume you are right regarding look is not preferable or is a deciding factor. Would you insist that should be and why/why not? Thanks.

First off - thank you! :) Only rarely do I receive compliments on my appearance.

Your presumption that Freemasons are generally good-looking is probably the result of a sampling error. Most of us aren't drop-dead handsome. (although, I do admit, it doesn't detract from our appearance to wear a suit ;) ) One's looks really are of no significance or consequence in Freemasonry.

We indeed are ambassadors of our fraternity at school, work, and society in general, but we like to think our character is our calling card. As Freemasons, we are taught to 'square our actions', which is to say we are enjoined in being virtuous, just, and honest men. Physical appearances are but transient - the ravages of age and mortality take their toll on the body.

If you fear that your looks will come in the way of your becoming a Freemason, rest assured that your fear is unfounded. As a Mason, all you need is a belief in a Supreme Being, and a good moral character. Your appearance really does not matter.

Elexir

Hi Elixir,
I don't know what you looks like from your icon, but I can tell you that there is no ugly Freemason. Anyone that insists that there is, to me, is an anti-Freemason.
I am sure when you cut/shaved/cleaned up/dressed up in a tuxedo, you will look great.
None of the less, it may be a deciding factor, but you were not aware of it since it was not a factor for you because you are not ugly but in fact handsome or at least above certain threshold, and I bet you probably don't even know that either.

The point was lost:
I stand as a proposer for two brothers and I paid no attention to how they looked becuse its whats inside that matters

Howard Giang

The point was lost:
I stand as a proposer for two brothers and I paid no attention to how they looked becuse its whats inside that matters
The point was not lost but rather was well taken. You said you paid no attention to how they looked the reason was because they are not ugly, and that is an indication. If the two brothers were ugly, I bet you would notice.
For example, when you are talking to someone, and if there were an unpleasant odor then you would notice, but if there is no unpleasant odor then you would not pay any attention to it. Look is probably a preferable option or is a deciding factor, but it is NOT a primary or only a deciding factor that is why there are more than one deciding factors for determine the best, valuable, and qualified candidate. In a college fraternity, good looking is the primary factor (preferable as a women magnet). Other factors are like (order not important) leadership, education, sportsmanship, talent, economic, status, etc.

Howard Giang

First off - thank you! :) Only rarely do I receive compliments on my appearance.

Your presumption that Freemasons are generally good-looking is probably the result of a sampling error. Most of us aren't drop-dead handsome. (although, I do admit, it doesn't detract from our appearance to wear a suit ;) ) One's looks really are of no significance or consequence in Freemasonry.

We indeed are ambassadors of our fraternity at school, work, and society in general, but we like to think our character is our calling card. As Freemasons, we are taught to 'square our actions', which is to say we are enjoined in being virtuous, just, and honest men. Physical appearances are but transient - the ravages of age and mortality take their toll on the body.

If you fear that your looks will come in the way of your becoming a Freemason, rest assured that your fear is unfounded. As a Mason, all you need is a belief in a Supreme Being, and a good moral character. Your appearance really does not matter.
I don't consider myself ugly because I was accepted in a college fraternity. Also, I asked my wife, and she said I am not ugly, but she would not confirm if I am handsome either. LOL.
My fear is not about for not being a looking candidate but rather what can I offer to the fraternity. What is my contribution, or how can I contribute? I recalled, our former President JFK said something like, "ask not what your country can do for you but ask what you can do for your country." I don't really know what the fraternity wants yet, so I need to study more about the fraternity purposes and needs.

dfreybur

Premium Member
What is my contribution, or how can I contribute?

That's the best reason to petition. Out of a sincere desire to be of assistance to your fellow creatures.

Be informed that it is up to you. Just like if you wait to be invited to petition it will never happen, if you wait to be asked to volunteer to work it will never happen. There's service work for the looking, but you do have to look. There are lodge events, district events, area events, grand lodge events, appendent body events. There are small groups of Brothers who on their own go around doing stuff. Show up, listen to events mentioned at the Stated meetings. Write them in your calendar. Ask when and where to show up. Be there and work.

The more you put into Masonry the more you get out of Masonry and that's the method. I think it's a term I learned while studying Zen - "the method of no method". There are tee shirts that say it. "Just do it".

Howard Giang

That's the best reason to petition. Out of a sincere desire to be of assistance to your fellow creatures.

Be informed that it is up to you. Just like if you wait to be invited to petition it will never happen, if you wait to be asked to volunteer to work it will never happen. There's service work for the looking, but you do have to look. There are lodge events, district events, area events, grand lodge events, appendent body events. There are small groups of Brothers who on their own go around doing stuff. Show up, listen to events mentioned at the Stated meetings. Write them in your calendar. Ask when and where to show up. Be there and work.

The more you put into Masonry the more you get out of Masonry and that's the method. I think it's a term I learned while studying Zen - "the method of no method". There are tee shirts that say it. "Just do it".
Thanks dfreybur for your advice and encouragement.

Mike Martin

Eternal Apprentice
Premium Member
Thanks Mike for giving that could be a possibility.
I knew it, but I don’t think I can use that as a reason to procrastinate.
I think it would be helpful to qualify why that is!

Your acceptance/entry into membership of a Lodge is decided by the membership of that Lodge and there might be a member who thinks that way, generally, we tend to look at the character of an applicant rather than what he looks like.

edet_victor

Masons i know here in Lagos are not that friendly to non-mansons like me who are eager to join the freemasonry. They feel too big to relate with, especially issues like this. Once they sight you, they already know what you want and why you are here. I am speaking from experience. I currently work for a freemasonry member at his private home.

hfmm97

Premium Member
Masons i know here in Lagos are not that friendly to non-mansons like me who are eager to join the freemasonry. They feel too big to relate with, especially issues like this. Once they sight you, they already know what you want and why you are here. I am speaking from experience. I currently work for a freemasonry member at his private home.

I hope that you have hundreds of US dollars or naira equivalent for initiation fees, dues, and charity contributions and from 6 months to 3 years to study - that’s what it takes to be a Freemason in the US - if they don’t think that you have those resources, it does not surprise me that they have those attitudes.

Do NOT believe the MYTHS that being a Freemason will make you rich and/or powerful - it will make you neither.

I think that what causes those MYTHS is that men of means first were rich and powerful and then later became Freemasons.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app